Urgent help needed with "notes" application

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Rimssky, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Rimssky macrumors newbie

I am very new to mac.
    I was using the "notes" application to write down a book ive been working on (stupid i know).
    Today I decided It was really imporant I back this up.

So I highlighted about 40 pages I had written, and clicked copy, but somehow must of accidentally hit paste, and I literarily lost hundreds of hours of work.....
    I understand how stupid it was to type this out in notes......

I looked for a undo button but it wouldnt let me undo my paste is there any type of history anywhere with this program? i cant even begin to express how important this is. :(:(:(

Any help is GREATLY appreciated, can anything be done at all? Im willing to try anything.

2. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

If you copied it, you can just paste it in somewhere else.

Otherwise, roll in your backup.

3. Rimssky thread starter macrumors newbie

I cant find a back up anywhere, does notes save a history or anything?
    Unfortunitly I didnt copy it, I accidently pasted over it, and when I hit undo it didn't work.

I dont have time machine.

4. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

No, a backup is something you do manually to rescue yourself from things like this. Or use Time Machine, which you specify you don't have.

If you paste something over something else, undo will always work. So you must have done something else.

5. Rimssky thread starter macrumors newbie

I really dont know what happened, I was trying to copy my work onto my hardrive but instead of copying I pasted over it....

Doing this in the terminal:
    into the cd ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.Notes/Data/Library/Notes; strings NotesV1.storedata | grep body | open -f \

it brings up all your notes, is there a way to change the pathway so it brings up your notes for a couple hours ealyier?

6. Rimssky thread starter macrumors newbie

This is very old threat, but I just wanted to post this if anyone else ever has the same problem. I went into the program file of notes and I was able to recover my note I lost. They were a little mixed up, but all the information was there =)

7. Gregg2, May 3, 2015
    Last edited: May 4, 2015

Gregg2 macrumors 603

8. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

The Notes application doesn't work like most word processors as it saves the work as you go and syncs with iCloud if enabled. I see two mistakes you made, using the wrong tool for the task and not having proper backups. One would hope that you are now keeping good backups. Portable hard drives are very cheap these days and there is no excuse for not having a good backup. Good word processors are available from free to moderate priced. You don't have to buy MS Office to get a good one.