Urgent help needed with NTFS drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Minklet, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Minklet macrumors newbie

I have a 1tb drive that I use to play music via Serato. Now I use both PC and Mac, but because of the NTFS and Macosx incompatibility, I have the drive partitioned 3 times, on about 400gb in the mac file format, 400gb NTFS and the rest as FAT 32 as a 'transfer' between mac to windows.

Normally all my music is stored on my PC, I transfer it onto the windows partition, plug it into my mac and then copy from the windows partition to the mac partition. However, recently the mac stopped seeing the contents of the music folder in the windows partition, so I wiped them all, reformatted and tried again...it still does it.

However, if I access the music via serato, it still sees all the folder structure (before it could only see 'CD Music', nothing inside it) and can see and even play the files fine.

I really really need to be able to copy this music to the mac partition, or serato doesn't function correctly.

Whenever I just drag the CD Music folder to the mac partition it gives me the error code -36 alert. I have tried to do the 'dot_clean' solution that I saw suggested on here but it said 'command not found'

I am using
    Mac OSX 10.4.11

I would really appreciate some help. Thanks in advance

2. complexcommunic macrumors regular

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

Macs can read NTFS, they just can't write to them without extra software.

4. Minklet thread starter macrumors newbie

I am trying to COPY FROM NTFS BUT IT CANNOT SEE ANY FILES.

Anyway, update. Despite reformatting and reinstalling, no joy. I connected it to my friends macbook pro and it found it all fine. Is this just another case of mac parts failing well before they reasonably should because they are overpriced rubbish?

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Is this a USB drive? If so, are you able to plug it into an Airport Extreme or some other type of router where you can access it via SMB? That seems to make cross-compatibility between OS X and Windows much smoother - no extra software needed for either platform.

I believe dot_clean was added in 10.5, I don't know that it's available in 10.4. Do you happen to have another Mac available to try?

Lastly, are you having the same problem copying to the Mac HD if you first copy to the FAT32 "middleman" partition?