Urgent help needed, with Quicktime .. a perculiar issue inside..

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by marbles, Feb 10, 2009.

1. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

I've made an important voice recording on my digital recorder , plugged it into my iMac and dragged the file over to listen, only I didn't 'save' the file on the player before inserting the USB cable and dragging it over to my Mac :(.

The file did appear to go over onto the desktop of the Mac without issue that I could see, the problem is when I try to play the file nothing happens when I click play.

The file shows up as 11Mb in the file 'get info' menu so it's there somewhere I just am unable to find it and make it play no indication of the file shows up in the Quicktime player window , it is a .WAV file.

The file now appears the same way in the recording device so dragging it over again doesn't work .
    please help, this file means so much and my family need to be able to listen to it because it is an important recording.

It's confusing the life out of me because I don't understand where the file has gone and we desperately need this audio file as proof.

help is, as always, appreciated.

~m

2. Legolamb macrumors 6502a

Legolamb

Don't know if this is a problem with your recorder, the way it was downloaded, or Quicktime. But you're right that 11Mb means that something has been recorded. I'd make a copy of that file and start testing using the copy. My first guess is to quit QT and try another application.
    What format is the file? If it's a .WAV for example, try opening it in iTunes.

3. marbles thread starter macrumors 68000

marbles

I tried what you suggested and tried to open it with iTunes and also with Audacity , no luck as yet, but thanks for the help.

In the file menu 'get info' splash screen it still says 11Mb on disk..., unfortunately for me the 'preview' part of the splash screen will not play the file either .

I don't know what I'm going to do

It's in there somewhere .

Are there any intrepid Mac Harddrive 'searchers' know where I might be able to recover this file ?,

4. marbles thread starter macrumors 68000

marbles

What about Disk Utility, could that help me? or would it damage the 11Mb that is on the disc, somewhere ?

Just tried to restore the image , didn't do anything then again I don't believe it was made for a task such as this :(

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Did you ever got it to work?

Did you install Flip4Mac

Have you tried playing it with VLC?

6. Legolamb macrumors 6502a

Legolamb

I'm confused. Is it that you can't find the file, or it won't open? What is the file type? What version of QT do you have?

Also,, doing this from the menu bar sometimes helps.
    Select the File> Get Info > Open With >Choose Other > Enable All Applications > QuickTime Player

7. marbles thread starter macrumors 68000

marbles

No , no joy as yet getting the file to play. I have flip4Mac installed , why do you ask by the way? just curios as Quicktime has played .WAV files for me before, I guess that is why QT plays them , via Flip4Mac.

VLC , sorry I don't know what that is.

I can find the file , see it on my desktop , can open file>get info which tells me 11.1 Mb is on disk , I just can't make the file play , not in Audacity , QT or iTunes.

Nothing doing with the open with all applications because after I select that option I then have to choose something to open it with , I tried Audacity again but still no joy.

QT version 7.5.5 and I'm running Tiger fully up to date except for the last QT update ironically .

sorry if I'm not making much sense , I'm panicking a little here :eek:

8. Legolamb macrumors 6502a

Legolamb

I'm assuming the recorder is no longer plugged into the computer.
    What is the file type (what's the extension)? What version of QT do you have?
    I repeat: Make a copy of the file (Select, Finder > File >Duplicate). Try changing the filename of the duplicated file.

9. marbles thread starter macrumors 68000

marbles

yep , now unplugged , but before I did unplug it I attempted to view the files but the usual screen on the player wouldn't allow it until disconnected.

File type is .WAV

I have already duplicated it and tried to open both the original and duplicate with various Applications.

I have updated now to Quicktime 7.6

I'll try the name change thing and post , although wen I had transferred the file over I changed the name then which has also shown up on the same file in the recording device.

An odd one this me thinks , so odd infact I tried to open it with NeoOffice just to add to the oddity of it all :)
    thanks for your help so far , I appreciate it
    Any one else willing to throw in a bone or two of info into this thread with a rather peculiar problem?

10. marbles thread starter macrumors 68000

marbles

~YES!:D

VLC for the win ....

played the file no problems through VLC :D

Nice one Consultant for the suggestion and thank you legolamb for your input too, appreciated :D

thank feck for that :rolleyes:

11. Marble macrumors 6502a

Marble