Urgent help needed!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lildrumrdude, Sep 4, 2011.

1. lildrumrdude macrumors newbie

Hello, Ive got a October 2009 Macbook Pro and im having really big problems with it at the moment. I'm a student at university and I mainly use Logic Pro, however, my charger broke last week and my macbook inevitably ran out of charge, but i had to get my work of it, so i unscrewed it and took my hard drive out and put it in my external hard drive case to get my important work off it (as the deadline was the same day, so i had to). However, in my desperation, I didnt think about the fact that even though the battery had died, the macbook wasnt properly shut down, and was still running an image, and now when i try to start up logic pro, it says.

Unknown Error

This application cannot continue because another application with an identical serial number is already running on another computer on your network.​

however im the only person in my house with a mac. It has also happened with itunes now, and when i try starting it up, it says...

Error 13014​

I've tried verifying the hard drive on disk utility and repairing but it wont let me. Im worried about having to reinstall logic pro, as i dont want to lose any of my work and im not sure how to back up the saved files and all their correspinding audio correctly.

If anyone can help it will be greatly appreciated, I really need this to work for me to be able to do my degree.

Regards

Craig

2. treestar macrumors 6502

Backing up Logic Pro projects is easy. All the files associated with a project are stored in their project folders, which are usually in the Music directory of your computer. Just copy those and you are set to reinstall Logic. It will be a little difficult to clean all the preferences and system folders for Logic from your computer, but you will need to do this or I think you'll come back to the same problem. Try to deactivate Logic before you uninstall it. I recommend you reinstall Logic. It's not a big process and you will only lose your preferences.

Sometimes it works just starting Logic by opening an existing project rather than launching it from the Applications folder or wherever. I don't think it's going to solve your problem but you can try it, why not?

3. lildrumrdude thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for getting back to me Treestar, I just tried opening Logic by opening a saved project, but no luck. Before I uninstall Logic and reinstall, I just want to double check how I can save my projects. Do I just go to.... Users > Craig > Music... then drag the whole logic folder to an external hard drive. Then am i free to delete all of Logic and reinstall? Then simply drag the logic folder back to where it was?

I also have various third party plugins and audio units installed, will they be automatically picked up again for when i reinstall Logic?

Thanks again

Craig