Urgent Help with failed powerbook G4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by kristiaand, Oct 14, 2008.

1. kristiaand macrumors member

Hi lads i need some urgent help, i have a powerbook G4 17" that no longer boots into OSX, it gets as far as the mouse cursor but no further, the owner has said "its been doing this for a while i simply remove the battery and leave it for 10 mins"

anyhow i need to recover all his data so i can do a re-install of leopard as quick as possible.

if i boot off the CD and run a terminal window, how do i copy the ENTIRE hard drive to a removable USB drive?

i figured the terminal command would be CP /* (not sure where osx mounts the usb drive) -R

am i barking up the wrong tree with this? or is there a better way to move a copy of the entire notebook drive to a usb one???

the harddrive seems ok and on a Target Disk mode bootup the drive is valid and does not need repairing, so i figured its either a fundamental error in leopard thats caused this (from his turn off and on whilst its booting sessions) or its a hardware fault.

thanks for any advice
    Kris

2. kristiaand thread starter macrumors member

ok no stress anymore i worked it out and have managed to backup everything on the mac. turns out that unlike certain versions of linux, os x is very friendly when it mounts drives. into a nice folder called Volumes off the root /