Urgent: how do I clone my Harddisk from old mac to new Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by yalag, Sep 5, 2010.

1. yalag macrumors 65816

Just bought a new MacBook pro was using a few years old MacBook? How do I clone the hd to the new Mac? Time machine won't help because I have bootcamp on it. Any ideas?

2. celticpride678

3. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

try carbon copy cloner or SuperDuper! Or perhaps the migration assistant. There is numerous ways.

4. yalag thread starter macrumors 65816

If I use those software do I need an external drive or something? Can I copy directly from one Mac to another somehow?

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Time Machine will help, it just won't backup your Boot Camp partition, for which you can use WinClone, which makes an image of it, which you can restore to your new Mac, after running Boot Camp Assistant to create the Boot Camp partition.

[​IMG]

MacOS X 10.5, 10.6: How to use Migration Assistant to transfer files from another Mac

6. Fishrrman macrumors G4

You DO NOT WANT to "clone" your old hard drive (from a MacBook that's several years old) to a new MBPro.

Some software (particulary the system software) on the old drive may be outdated and shouldn't go on the new one.

If you can get the two Macs connected to each other, you can use Migration Assistant to move some things over, however, I wouldn't recommend even migrating your old account(s). Instead, create NEW accounts on the NEW MBPro, and "manually move" things over.

You can't manually copy the "home" folder in its entirety.
    However, you CAN copy the CONTENTS of the folders in the home folder from their respective locations on the old Mac to their respective locations on the new one.

As for applications, you might do best to "reinstall where possible", ensuring that clean copies go onto the new drive.

I can't help with Windows as I've never used it on a computer that I own.