URGENT: How do I type applelogo on terminal ?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Wowzera, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Wowzera macrumors 6502a

Hello,
    I need to access my HD files using the Snow Leopard DVD. I open terminal and type:

Code:
     cd / 
    Code:
     cd /Volumes/ 
    Inside Volumes I see the DVD and the HD partition (named: [applelogo] Snow Leopard).
    { I cant type the apple logo on this *PC* }

Obviously I tried using tab to complete my text, but the applelogo is the first letter of the directory I want to reach so if I type tab it will only display the two files on a new line.

When I try to use "option + shift + K" on the terminal window it asks me if I want to see all the codes terminal is capable.

So, is there a way to type the applelogo
    OR
    rename the HD using the Disk Utility of the Snow Leopard DVD?

I dont want to install Snow Leopard again (I will need to buy another DVD since mine freezes on the half of the installation because disk/dvd problems).

Any help is appreciate!
    Thanks

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Have you tried copying and pasting inside the Terminal window? Command line on all the majors, including Windows, supports this. In Windows at least through XP, you have to click on the upper left corner icon in the window (The one next to "Command Prompt" and then select Edit->Mark), then you can click/drag to highlight text and choose the copy/paste items from that same menu.

EDIT, Oh, sorry, so you have a PC keyboard, but the computer is booted off the SL disc? Anyway, terminal in OS X also supports copy and paste... it's self explanatory.

3. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

You can also use wildcards (particularly * for any string) with the cd command, e.g.,
    Code:
    cd /Volumes/*Snow*Leopard
    As long as the pattern produces a single match, it works fine and can even save you some typing!

4. Wowzera thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hello, thanks for answering.
    I have a macbook, whose right now has that problem and I need to modify one of its files through terminal. The only available computer for me is the Windows PC that I am right here. I want to type the apple logo on the macbook.
    Copying and pasting does not work. If I copy the HD name (whose is displayed correctly when I press tab twice on /Volumes/) and then paste on the terminal window it automatically display these 276 available commands for terminal :(
    When I use ls -1 on the Volumes directory it display the apple logo as "???" but when I press tab twice on "cd /Volumes/ " it display the name correctly.

I can't type the apple logo because I am on a Windows PC right now and it does not support it. But on the Mac you can do it pressing the following keys:

option + shift + k

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I didn't really understand much of what you just said... if you're getting a list of 276 commands when you try and paste in the terminal window, then you're not copying and pasting correctly...

Nonetheless, I would try Doctor Q's excellent suggestion instead.

And for the love of God, give your HD a sensible name when you fix this problem. By sensible, meaning, use alphanumeric characters only. ;)

6. Wowzera thread starter macrumors 6502a

I already solved it by booting into single user mode.
    Thanks for your help! :)

Thanks Doctor_Q and mkrishnan for the help. Very much appreciate!

Yea, sure I will do that *right now*.