[Urgent] How to access headless mini?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by yalag, May 14, 2012.

1. yalag macrumors 65816

We have an urgent issue, we need access to our headless mini. But we just lost access it when we switched to a new user and forgot to turn on screen sharing :( In other words, we just switched from Admin1 to a new user Admin2 and deleted Admin1. Now the only account on the machine is Admin2 and we forgot to turn on screen sharing before rebooting it.

Now we can access the files through Finder's sidebar but we can't access screen sharing and now I don't know how to get back into this machine! It's gone forever :(

2. simsaladimbamba

Is it in any way possible to access that Mac mini physically and connect a display and keyboard to it? Or at least a keyboard?

It would be also good to know, what Mac OS X version you use, in case one has to guide you via keyboard commands (easily possible)?

3. yalag thread starter macrumors 65816

I can plug in a wired keyboard or mouse. But no display :(

4. simsaladimbamba

Then keyboard it is. But again, WHAT MAC OS X VERSION DOES THE MAC MINI USE?

5. yalag thread starter macrumors 65816

Lion, latest update. I've got the keyboard plugged in now, but then what?

6. simsaladimbamba

I suppose you know, how to login blindly, if Admin2 is not already logged in.
    The following steps are for the case, it is already logged in. With Spotlight it would be faster, but what if the search result is the wrong one, thus the long approach.

• Press CTRL+fn+F2 (if F2 is configured to set the brightness on that account)
    • Press the ArrowDown key five (5) times
    • Press ENTER
    • You have now opened System Preferences
    • Enter the following: "sharing", since the search field is automatically selected
    • Press ENTER
    • Press the TAB key twice (2 times)
    • Press the ArrowDown key once (1 time)
    • Press the SPACEBAR
    • Now all administrators can log into screen sharing.

The above only works if you enabled "All controls" in the Keyboard preference pane.
    If that is not the case, press this before the steps above: CTRL+fn+F7

7. Mattie Num Nums macrumors 68030

Mattie Num Nums

8. yalag thread starter macrumors 65816

How do I log in blindly? It's the only user in the system.

9. simsaladimbamba

Is it set to automatic login? If not and the machine has just booted up and is showing you the login screen, pressing "A" (the first letter in the user name "admin2" and then pressing ENTER will get you to the password entry prompt, which you now can enter and after that pressing ENTER will log you in.

10. yalag thread starter macrumors 65816

For some reason it's not working :( I'm not sure why. I've tried once with blindly logging in and I've tried once without logging (assuming it automatically logged in). Both failed. Any other options?

No, SSH is not enabled.

11. simsaladimbamba

As the ordeal goes now on for three hours, how hard is it to connect an actual display to it?

What about restarting the Mac mini and see, if manual log in works?

12. yalag thread starter macrumors 65816

I would absolutely do that if I have a display but we have 12 computers here and they are all imac :(

Each time, I went through your instructions I did a reboot and waited for the boot patiently.

13. simsaladimbamba

Do you have a backup of your old user, maybe a clone you could boot from?
    Are all the Macs 2011 Macs with Thunderbolt and do you by any chance have a TB cable?

14. rbrian macrumors 6502a

rbrian

Take it home and plug it into your TV with an HDMI cable.