URGENT! I think my computer has a virus

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by duranduranie, Apr 25, 2010.

1. duranduranie macrumors member

I'm really confused, I only have a basic knowledge of computers. I have an eMac version 10.4.11 and this suddenly appeared on my screen:

http://i43.tinypic.com/sgomsz.jpg

a message came up saying my computer was infected with various viruses and started doing this scan. Please someone explain to me what all of this means and how to fix it. Thanks. Any help is appreciated. I'm freaking out here.

2. Mac-Michael macrumors regular

You don't have a virus, it's a webpage designed to trick you - it obviously targets computers running Microsoft Windows. Your machine won't be affected.

3. forcefieldkid macrumors 6502

Its not a virus lol, its just a pop-up ad from a website.

4. duranduranie thread starter macrumors member

Thank god! are you positive? I knew it looked very windows-ish.

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I have that too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Btw, Mac OS X has a different Graphical User Interface than Windows. If you know the difference, or learn it, you will recognize false information like the one you have received more easily.

Windows XP looks like this:

[​IMG]

Mac OS X looks like the one you have on your screen, with the Menu Bar at the top and such.

So in short: NO MAC OS X VIRUS IS ON YOUR COMPUTER, AS THERE IS NOT EVEN ONE IN EXISTENCE.

If you use MRoogle, you will find plenty of these "I've got a virus. Help, Help." threads, discussing the absence of them and the unnecessary panic of the thread starter.

So again, Mac OS X and Windows look different, when a Windows look appears in Mac OS X, count on it being an ad 99% of the time.

6. duranduranie thread starter macrumors member

Thank you so much for putting my mind at ease. I see the difference. Whoo I'm calm now!

7. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

stupid ads like this are one of the major reason why I have a mac. no reason to worry.

any chance somebody wants to run the exe file that gets downloaded?

also the entire ad is illegal but of course nobody can and will do anything about this. we should find out who created this, seek him/her out and cut of body parts........ah, i'm watching too many low budget horror movies...