URGENT - Import problems from USB hard disk camcorder

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Chasealicious, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Chasealicious macrumors member

Chasealicious

I'm working at a conference doing video production for the staff, and I've been given a JVC hard-drive based camcorder full of video I have to edit together. The camera only offers USB, and I've only been able to copy over a series of files with a .MOD extension.

I can't find any program that will open or convert these files to a format I can work with in iMovie of FCP, and I have less than a day to put this together. Help!!!

2. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

try changing the .mod to .mpg or .mov in the file name.

3. Chasealicious thread starter macrumors member

Chasealicious

changing the file name to .MPG worked and gave me playable video files, but there is no sound attached. anyone know what might be up with that?

the camera model is a JVC GZ-MG70U.

4. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

I was afraid of this. For some reason I can never get .mpg file to play with audio. If I convert them to DV footage / mpeg4 / any other type of footage the audio mystically appears. Also with .mpg's I find that if a large chunk has been cut off of a clip it also mystically comes back when transcoding to a different format.

5. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

try a MOD file in MPEG Streamclip. then try an MPG. see which works better.

www.squared5.com

export to DV movie.

anyway, your question has been asked many, many times in the past few months, and the answer is MPEG Streamclip. there's a search feature here and it works. I mention this because you're calling this "URGENT." usually, urgency is an extra incentive to be efficient.