Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rob1980

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
Ramsgate UK
OK so i have moved my entire itunes library (10500 tracks 57Gb) to the trash by mistake:eek: i need to somehow get them back in to itunes. I currently have a 80Gb HD in my mac 15Gb available and a external 250Gb drive 17Gb free the only thing i can think of is to get another external drive put all the files on there then empty the trash and put it back in to itunes. Has anyone got any ideas as i cant get a hard drive until tomorrow.

Also can anyone recommend a hard drive up to £100.

Please feel free to contact me on ichat.
Thanks
Rob
PS i know i was stupid to do this in the first place

OwlsAndApples

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2006
UK
sorry, i think you'll need to wait til you get another hard drive with ample space available. Unless you have a dvd burner and lots of dvds at the ready. Your best option is to move the files from the trash to a roomy external, empty the trash...then move the music back into its rightful place. Which i think is what you'd already suggested. :)

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Move the folder out of the trash back to where it came from, you'll have enough space. The space isn't recovered until you actually empty the trash. So it won't use up any extra room on your computer

If you want to move your library to your external hard drive. Then go to iTunes Menu==>Preferences==>Advanced, and then change the iTunes Library location to the external drive. Once that has finished go to Advanced==>Consolidate Library and iTunes will copy your data over.

Aug 6, 2007
You can just move the files out of the trash back to wherever they were.
They're still taking up the same amount of space sitting in the trash as they were sitting on your desktop or wherever else.

OwlsAndApples

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2006
UK
Move the folder out of the trash back to where it came from, you'll have enough space. The space isn't recovered until you actually empty the trash. So it won't use up any extra room on your computer

Ah! Thanks, i'm having a dense day clearly :)

Rob1980

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
Ramsgate UK
You can just move the files out of the trash back to wherever they were.
They're still taking up the same amount of space sitting in the trash as they were sitting on your desktop or wherever else.

I gave this a try and could not move all the files back on to the external hard drive as it was eating up the disk space. It is like the files are still on the drive but just not visible because they are in the trash.

Should have mentioned that i store all my iTunes content on the external drive.
Thanks for all the comments and advice time to speak to the wife:( and tell her we got to buy a external drive any recommendations?

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Ah! Thanks, i'm having a dense day clearly :)

Its a Sunday its allowed.

I gave this a try and could not move all the files back on to the external hard drive as it was eating up the disk space.

The trash is located on the hard drive the data was originally on so you should have no problems moving it back ;). The best way to do this is to click and drag the data from the trash back to where it was, you don't want to copy it as you'll run out of space.

and tell her we got to buy a external drive any recommendations?

If you still need an external Hard drive, make sure you are paying about £75 for 500GB for a plain USB 2 one, and about £25 more for one with Firewire 400. For one with Firewire 800/eSATA/Ethernet, about £125 for 500GB should be about right.

Much more than that and you are being ripped off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.