urgent leopard question!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TheBusDriver, Feb 1, 2008.

1. TheBusDriver macrumors 6502

Hi I installed 10.5 on my buddys G4 1ghz power mac and when it got done installing it brings up the login screen, except his login name isn't there only the name "guest" how would one go about getting into the OS? Its a licensed copy of leopard.

2. theman macrumors 6502a

did you do a new install or an upgrade install? if you did a new install, you should have set up a user account. if you did an upgrade, you should just be able to type in his username/password.

3. TheBusDriver thread starter macrumors 6502

It was an upgrade, it comes up as "guest" as the only user, not his name. except above where it says the "login" "password" it does say the name of his computer. Trying to login with his normal user name and password under "guest" fails. I tried reseting his password under disk utility while booting from the C.D. but that didn't work either....I'm at a loss

4. Amdahl macrumors 65816

5. TheBusDriver thread starter macrumors 6502

It still asks for a password and username, there is no way to install the update until I get past the login page...

6. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Upgrading always provides problems. A fair few of the Leopard issues were associated with upgrading.

Back up his user folder, reinstall Leopard (fresh) then transfer his data back on. He might have to reinstall a few programs, but atleast he'll start on a fresh OS.

Best way to do it imo.

7. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

In order to move his data over when you can't log into the operating system, boot his machine in Target Disk and connect it via Firewire to another Mac (I'm pretty sure this is how it is done, I've never tried it but if you do a quick google search for "Mac Target Disk Mode" it should give you some information), then pull the data off and burn it or put in onto an external hard drive and then restore what he needs after doing a clean install of Leopard.

8. Amdahl macrumors 65816

This method can also be used to apply updates. So if you wanted, you could update to 10.5.1, and see if you can login after that.

9. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Good point, but thinking about this again, I think the user account will be locked/password protected?

I've never done Target Disk Mode, so don't know if this would help when the user account seems to have gone walkies.