Urgent login help for backup needed - MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Chantalai, May 20, 2014.

1. Chantalai macrumors newbie

I apologise as I am writing from my phone.
    Some of my keys on my keypad of my MacBook Pro are damaged and not working. I have purchased a hard drive to back up my files as I need access to them until I can afford to get the Mac repaired.
    I cannot type in my password nor use the power button as these are some of the affected keys. I thought I had access to a USB keyboard but it turns out it has a PC plug.
    I doubt there is anything I can do, but if there is please let me know as I am desperate.
    I am also sorry that I cannot provide my last iOS update, as I cannot recall but I have not updated for several updates.

If there is nothing I can do at present, even if further information is provided, please also let me know.
    Thank you.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you cannot turn it on, then an external keyboard will not help you. I was going to suggest that very thing, USB keyboards are cheap enough these days but if you cannot durn on your computer there's not much you can do.

Did you spill liquid, any idea of what caused the sudden failure?

My only suggestion is to take it into apple for repair.

3. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

If you need access to your data, just open the Mac, remove the HD, put it in a USB external enclosure.

By connecting the external to another Mac (NOT a Windows PC, warning !) you will be able to access the data.

You may even be able to boot from the external (depending of which model of Mac you use) and keep working as if you were using your own Macbook.

4. Chantalai thread starter macrumors newbie

I have already been to an Apple store today and am following their advice as I do not have the money for a diagnosis test at the moment.

I accidently spilt some water in the right side on the keypad yesterday. All was fine until this morning.

The Mac still has power, should I wait for the battery to run low, plug it in... Or it probably won't restart? Sorry, I'm not very competent at repairing Macs.

----------

I have an external hard drive eclogue requires no enclosure, so I doubt that would work. Unless I am mistaken.

5. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

What would not work ?

6. Chantalai thread starter macrumors newbie

I have never used an external hard drive without and enclosure before. And not with a Mac.

If I take out my hard drive, can I still connect it to the external one? In all honesty I do not know the process in this scenario. Plus I cannot turn off the Mac unless I let the battery run out but then I would not be able to turn it back on as far as I can see.

Mac forums frighten me, please forgive me ignorance.

7. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Sorry if I was not clear.

I thought you absolutely needed to access the data of your internal HD.

If so, open the Macbook, remove the HD, put it in a USB enclosure.

Then, connect this enclosure to another Mac : you will be able to access the data.

More, if the other Mac can run your OS, you will be able to boot up the other Mac from your HD (which is in the enclosure), and use the other Mac as if it was your Macbook. (you will login to your account and have access to your data as usual).

8. Chantalai thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, that does make sense. Unfortunately I know no one with a Mac. I'll just have to wait for tomorrow to try and get a working keyboard and go sleepless for a while to catch up on work.

Thank you for your tips. Hopefully this never happens again.