URGENT: Mac/PC Networking Problem needs solution and Guru...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by coocooforcocoap, Oct 10, 2007.

1. coocooforcocoap macrumors regular

coocooforcocoap

:eek: the network went down after my ISP made changes to hardware and the Netgear router will no longer connect to their servers via PPPOE dial-in. No one knows why, least of all me who can just sit and say "it WAS working." But I happened to have a Airport Express (bought originally to charge my ipod shuffle, and since in a drawer) and turned it into an Airport Base Station (ya gotta love apple). BUT, i have no clue how to connect that wireless network to the netgear one, or any other way of connecting the two. Please study the below diagram for details. Please help soon as those in the red zone are screaming at ME, like it's my fault or something. In the meantime, I am sitting on the top floor with internet and i can get to my files...
    So there...:eek:
    [​IMG]
    Ps. I also have another dlink router, and an antique Farallon Starlet/4 hub/switch to throw in the mix, if only I knew where. Thanks all!!!!

2. ruZZ.il macrumors member

you could maybe try a few things..
    1. set up the netgear as an access point, so the wired machines would get their info from the A.express, its basicaly functioning as a hub here.(see opt 3)

2. set up all the wired machines to use static IP's in the range of the A.express, using the A.express as their gateway too.

3.You could just use a 4 port hub/switch instead of the netgear, it would simplify the network and should work...

*My parents house network is kind of similar.. well, in that its 3 floors. I've got a cable modem connected straight to a linksys wireless router providing wirelesss up there.. its also wired to an adjacent PC, a slingbox, and a 32 port switch on the second floor, where my dad has offices and my moms studio. one of the ports leads to my place at their place(moved out, but I visit) on the bottom floor, where I have my own 8 port hub connected to a PC, an old imac, and a linksys wireless access point. there are often ~10 machines running.. unfortunately, the modem is the weakest link, and needs occasional resetting. working on changing it.. otherwise, all good.

..anyway, I'd probably try my suggestions in that order (unless somone suggested something smarter to me:p)

hope it helps a bit..

cheers

Russ.

3. coocooforcocoap thread starter macrumors regular

coocooforcocoap

Thanks! Getting somewhere now...

Hi Russ, thanks so much! It works kinda, i went with option 3 suggested because the first two had me baffled. I mean I know that router and how to set it as in a "normal configuration" but making it an access point that can link with the Airport, or making it act like a dumb hub is beyond me, but I would like to learn.

So the new configuration is below, with just three problems:

1. I have the Farrallon hub/switch attached to the macbookpro, which is not a good idea as occasionally it goes to the field so that won't make the downstream users happy;) - I need to do internet connection sharing in XP on the server box, but I don't know how, or if it's possible when using a usb wireless reciever and in internal lan card...is it? I know to do ICS u need two cards, does this qualify?

2. Right now I can see no way to do static ip addresses sharing thru the macbook pro via the Airport. the ip addresses for the downstream when attached automatically pick up this:
    IP = 192.168.2.x
    Def. Gateway = 192.168. 2.1
    It does not seem to work if I try to assign static IP?!?

3.Related to the above, I think, is workgroup access. I want all machines in the same workgroup, but because of the 2.1 vs 1.1 addresses I don't think that's possible. OR is it? I tried but no go. This is why I appreciate the guruness Russ. FIXED. it was XP services not turned on.

And then for the kicker, this is a lot of wire! it would be nice if I can place one of the spare parts listed on the second floor, or do something wirelessly in the long run. But for now, I just need to get filesharing, internet access & remote desktop working FIXED, but don't care about speed yet.

I guess all i need now is help with the red arrow below, and how to go from the second floor to ground floor without running cables from the top floor (and I only have 4 ports, maybe 3 if one is a crossover on the falorran):

[​IMG]

4. coocooforcocoap thread starter macrumors regular

coocooforcocoap

The Final Solution!

Here is what i got working and everyone is happy. The only glitch now is that when everyone is using the network, its kinda slow. not sure how to fix that, any suggestions? I first need to find a tool that will allow me to see the network in total. the logs/stats in Airport Utility blows up when i try to use...it probally does not like all the windows PCs:)

[​IMG]

5. ruZZ.il macrumors member

Thats an interesting solution you've come up with. I'm glad you got things going! Now what do you mean by everyone using the network? The internet, or internal file sharing, etc? Maybe hardwiring the farrallon to the A.express would solve things.
    The d-link acting as a hub may be pretty slow when a lot of file sharing is going on too, specifically between more than 2 computers at a time. a switch would do it better. If its internet use, it may be because the wireless dongle cant handle all that traffic.

Anyway, describe your usage when you feel the limitation.

(I may be out of solutions from here on though.. I'm not quiet a network engineer.. just the family and friends dude :cool:)

And what do you use for sketching? :D

6. coocooforcocoap thread starter macrumors regular

coocooforcocoap

thanks for ur comments! it's nice to know i am not alone on this one. i do think the dlink might be a problem, as the machines downstream from that are suffering from packet loss (i installed Intermapper to see what's up). I don't even know if the dlink is functioning as the reset switch is broke. The AExpress cant be wired as it has no ports, just one for the line in from ISP. I originally got that to charge an ipod shuffle, surprised it can do so much. I don't really even know what packet loss means, i just know it can't be good. But when 2 users below the dlink are doing what they do (and who knows what that is) things get slow everywhere. Cheers!
    Ps. I have a wacom tablet and a shakey hand...if that's what u mean.

7. ruZZ.il macrumors member

pack_t loss is k_nd of wh_n not al_ th_ d_ta gets thr_ugh., so its like:
    >pack_t -WHAT? >packet - ok
    >loss
    >is
    >k_ind -WHAT? kind - ok
    .... untill it understand that packet loss is when not all the data gets through, so a lot of talk is wasted on figuring out what was missed.

btw, can't your netgear connect using L2TP? (alternatively maybe you could try using this as your dummy hub)

and.. I guess I meant what do you use to make your flowcharts? :)

8. coocooforcocoap thread starter macrumors regular

coocooforcocoap

i dont think the packet loss is a big deal...downloads, internet works and it's at a low percentage now, like 3% average.

>>>btw, can't your netgear connect using L2TP? (alternatively maybe you could try using this as your dummy hub)

No idea what l2TP is, but i had the netgear connected to the ISP in the first place, but they made changes to their hardware and the netgear stopped connecting. My ISP says they always have problems with netgear routers and dont have a fix. the airport express does the PPPOE just fine. So that's why it's there. I could try using the netgear as the hub on the second floor, but as the dlink is working....

the strange thing about this configuration is that while network neighborhood works and file sharing, i tried to use remote desktop and it won't get past the dlink router. so there is still something strange going on.

I use MindJEt Mindmanager mind-mapping tool for all flowcharts. I highly recommend this product http://www.mindjet.com/us/download/ as it's easier to use and has more applications then Visio...

cheers.