URGENT: MacBook OSX Help

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by DJ-Amal, Aug 25, 2009.

1. DJ-Amal macrumors newbie

I know it is kind of a stupid question but I got a new hard drive for my White 2.0GHz core2duo MacBook late 2006. I want to install osx on it but I'm planning to use my friend's Install Disc for his MacBook Pro. I'm planning to use his Install Disc cause mine is broken and apple is taking their sweet time in giving me my replacement disc. Do you think it will work? Or do you recommend that I buy Snow Leopard on Friday and fresh install snow leopard on it instead?

P.S warranty has run out on for my macbook

2. PhightinPhils26 macrumors 6502a

PhightinPhils26

I am not sure it will work... I tried using an iMac disc on a MacBook and it didn't like it. I am not sure if it will be the same story for you.

3. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

4. DJ-Amal thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you mean the Install Disc for my MacBook? It is Tiger and it has been 1.5 months since I took it to Apple and I'm still waiting for it. I need to get my macbook going soon because I need it for Uni.

I thought so, I had a feeling that the installation drivers are not compatible.

5. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Whoops...

Well in that case, just wait till Friday. Apple.com says it'll be delivered Friday via "priority" shipping for my order!! :D:D

6. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

You can't install Snow Leopard (the $29 upgrade) without Leopard on your computer. You would need the Box Set version for $169 for a fresh install without Leopard. Even if Apple got you your replacement restore disks, this box set would be required. It would be cheaper to get a Leopard retail disk and then the Snow Leopard for the OS only but the box set would give you iWork and iLife which to me are very valuable. -GDF

7. rekhyt macrumors 65816

I'm not quite sure on this but the Mac OS X Leopard (Boxed disk) worked for multiple installs on different machines (Test/OS reloads).

8. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...don't you need to purchase the "family pack" to do that?

9. jbuk macrumors regular

Morally, yes; technically, no.

Aside from checking it's being run on a Mac, OS X (10.0-10.5 at least) does not have any kind of activation checks or install limits. The idea of the family pack is that people will feel more morally obliged to buy it, making money for Apple.

And it works, to their credit.

10. DJ-Amal thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you guys I got it to work on my friend's $29 copy of Snow Leopard and don't worry I'm going to buy a copy of it for myself knowing that it works on my laptop.