{URGENT] MacBook Pro 13" Issue - Flashing Folder

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DougievanKola, Dec 11, 2012.

1. DougievanKola macrumors newbie

Hello all,

First time poster - Go easy on me if I have posted on the incorrect section of this site. :)

I'm not the best or technically gifted so trying my absolute best here.

Here goes.... My MacBook Pro 13" froze earlier today. Subsequently, I had reset the MacBook to find a white/grey screen with a Flashing Folder.

I've done a few searches online and accepted it could be an HardDrive issue.

I once again restarted the Mac and held down the Option/Alt key. The flashing folder has disappeared and it's only showing a cursor. Nothings happened since this point?

I restarted the MacBook again with the boot disk, it loaded a new installation screen. I completely ignored that and went to Disk Utility. It appears to NOT detect my Hardrive. It's only showing the inserted Disk and not my hardrive. This had worried me extremely as I have over 400 GB of important documents with no TimeMachine back-up. :(

I also have a second MacBook Pro - I removed the HardDrive from the initial faulty 13'' Mac and Inserted it into the 15'' MacBook I have and to my surprise, hey presto! The log in screen from my 13'' appears immediately.

Vice versa, I replaced my 15'' HD into the 13'' MBP where I am led to the exact same screen..... Flashing Folder?

I don't know what the issue seems to be and Apple Website want to charge me for a consultation call?

If anyone could be of any assistance, I would be extremely grateful.

I thank you in advance for your co-operation in this matter.

DvK,

2. sparkyms macrumors 65816

Sounds like your hard drive had bit the dust.

I'm sorry but it sounds like you've lost your files :-/.

3. DougievanKola thread starter macrumors newbie

That's the point - I haven't. I inserted the faulty MBP, Hardrive into my 15" MBP and it everything works perfect!

4. Raunien macrumors 6502

Sounds like your SATA cable on your 13 inch is damaged

5. bogatyr macrumors 65816

Or there is damage to the controller/mobo. If it was just a sudden break (i.e. while running the system and not after fiddling inside the laptop) it is more likely the controller/mobo.

6. DougievanKola thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks - I've tried to switch the SATA from the 15" but the screws are so small and awkward and won't turn. Need to get hold of a Proper strong handles screwdriver. Will give that a try. Thanks for your reply.

----------

Hi, sorry for my ignorance but what is a MOBO? Is that a Motherboard?

7. Hats macrumors newbie

Yeah, MOBO means motherboard.

8. DougievanKola thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, :)

PS: Has anyone else got any ideas?

Guess we've narrowed it down to the MOBO or SATA Cable being faulty.

9. Essenar macrumors 6502a

Okay, relax and do the following:
    With the 13" hard drive in your 15" MacBook Pro, save your files. Back them up and make sure they're all safe.

Once you're absolutely sure that your files are safe, also back up your files from your 15" hard drive.

What you're going to want to do is:
    Reset the SMC and PRAM on your 13" Pro.
    Once that's done, if the hard drive still won't post in the 13" Pro, then you probably have a bad cable or a bad logic board. At that point it's time for the Genius bar.

10. Hats macrumors newbie

You could try to run a hardware test and see what it brings up.

See http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1509?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US on how to preform it, it'll take a while though.

Err. That is if it's possible to do so without the hard drive... If it's not possible, try to install OS X on a USB storage drive and try to boot up from the USB drive so you can run the hardware test.

11. iMacC2D, Dec 12, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  12. DougievanKola thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much for your help guys - appreciated very much.