URGENT! Macbook Pro 2010 dead?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Allegator, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Allegator macrumors newbie

I just made a big mistake :(

I attempted to clean the inside of my macbook pro 2010 by removing the bottom case and use a small amount of isopropyl alcohol and compressed air.
    I removed all the dust in sight.

But, I forgot to shut down my macbook pro before I started (it was closed and sleeping).

Now my macbook pro won't turn on, there is no charge indicator light, and the battery meter of the side doesn't even light up. I'm really worried that I totally fried my computer. Is there anything I can do? Please help! Thanks

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You probably did. Try removing the whole Logic Board and drying it. Not much to do but wait!

3. Allegator thread starter macrumors newbie

Let there be light!!

Luckily, everything is all right. I waited a few more minutes and blew a little more condensed air everywhere. I pushed the battery indicator light and saw the most amazing green lights. Booted her up and checked with the activity monitor and had a quick look at finder to make sure all my files were there. Closed everything and shut her down.

Hopefully, no problems will follow.

Thank God that isopropyl alcohol has such a high vapor pressure. Also, I feel very fortunate that nothing shorted out.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Take this as a learning experience. Shut your computers off before you work on them!

5. kelon111 macrumors 6502

Taking out the battery is also standard procedure.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Traditionally. Though Apple doesn't recommend it when doing simple tasks like a hard drive or RAM change. I disconnect it anyway!

7. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

You don't need to go that far. Simply disconnecting it from the logic board is enough.