*URGENT* MacBook Pro disappearing HDD Space *URGENT*

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tusing, Aug 16, 2010.

1. tusing macrumors newbie

Hello guys,
    I have a mid 2009 MacBook Pro (13 inch) 2.53 GHz (Core 2 Duo) with 4 GB RAM.
    I have a problem- I am sure that I have only used about 15GB space. I have no apps above 1GB. I also have a BootCamp partition.
    When I click on my OSX (Snow Leopard 10.6) partition (Macintosh HD), the capacity shown is 215GB and remaining is 158GB. About 40GB space just vanished!

I used OmniDiskSweeper. The results were that there was 34.1GB being used in Users>.Tusing>Tusing.sparsebundle>bands. In "bands", there are hundreds of 8MB files. What should I do with them? Are they important? Can I delete them?

Thank you for your help. I am new to this site. If you do not have an answer, please bump this thread (if thats possible in this forum).

UPDATE: I can't see the hidden files in Finder, so should I use defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -bool true to see them?

UPDATE: I will keep FileVault on. Thanks for the help!

2. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

Looks like a user has FileVault turned on? Do not delete the bands -- those are for a sparseimage of a home directory, and the user Tusing will not be able to have any of his data available if those are deleted.

3. tusing thread starter macrumors newbie

If I turn off FileVault, will I regain the space?

4. tusing thread starter macrumors newbie