URGENT!! MacBook Pro Kernel Panic? bricked MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by EarthNeutron, Aug 7, 2012.

1. EarthNeutron macrumors regular

EarthNeutron

Video of the incident: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PlxkcZASOM

Ok, so I was editing this video for YouTube, when suddenly my MBP froze and started making this weird alarm sound. The only way to stop it was to shut down my MacBook Pro from the power button.

This was the 2nd time this has happened. Both of them happened after I upgraded the stock 4gb and 320 HDD to a Samsung 830 SSD 128 GB and 8 GB 1333Mhz Corsair RAM.

The first time it happened, I thought it was from the CPU/GPU overheating, because I was exporting 4 1080 movies at the same time. Now, the CPU was barely used. I was only editing a video in iMovie 11, and since the 1st incident I bought a Cooling Pad that I was using at the moment, when my 2nd incident happened.

Any idea what is causing this? My guess is the RAM but has anyone encountered such a problem? Please help me.

Link to video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PlxkcZASOM

2. EarthNeutron thread starter macrumors regular

EarthNeutron

Hmm.. I did not get any sort of log file after restarting my mac. Please check out my video, soon after ending the video I held the power button to turn off my Mac. After restarting , I only got a message that told me an error occurred and my mac has turned off unexpectedly. The dialog box gave me 2 options: Open previews apps and close.

That was it. No kernel errors or anything..so i guess this wasn't a kernel panic after all...but what was it?

3. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Things go wrong, things crash. It's probably no biggie unless in happens continuously on a regular basis.

4. leman macrumors 604

Put the stock RAM back in and observe whether kernel panics still occur. I had a problem with mining corsair RAM and stock samsung RAM on my iMac.

5. EarthNeutron thread starter macrumors regular

EarthNeutron

Ok, I will. Anyway, the last time this has happened was last week if I recall correctly. So even if I replace my ram to the stock ram, I still don't know how long it will take for this incident to repeat itself.

6. simsaladimbamba

Maybe this can help? I recently (yesterday) heard a similar tone, when I forgot to put the RAM back in after replacing an ODD in a 2008 MBP.

7. EarthNeutron thread starter macrumors regular

EarthNeutron

Mine was doing a 3 beep sound as you can here from the video.
    "3 beeps = no good banks"

banks? ram memory banks ? I have no idea what those "banks " are.

What was that hardware command again? cmd+D or just plain D when booting? I should try testing the hardware.

8. EarthNeutron thread starter macrumors regular

EarthNeutron

Okay, it happened again I'm now running an Apple hardware test.

9. EarthNeutron thread starter macrumors regular

EarthNeutron

10. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Take out the RAM then put it back in.

Sources: Clicky, clicky, clicky, and clicky. (yay for google search :rolleyes: )

11. EarthNeutron thread starter macrumors regular

EarthNeutron

Ok, I will. Thx for the suggestion. I will do it as soon as this happens again.

12. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

No, go ahead and do it. If you would read any of the sources, you would know that your RAM is loose. The beeping means no RAM banks (aka a stick of RAM) are found, but because this happens while running instead of startup, they are only loose instead of completely detached.

13. EarthNeutron thread starter macrumors regular

EarthNeutron

Ok, thank you for the advice. :D