URGENT: Macbook Pro vs Macbook Air

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by zer0tails, Nov 12, 2008.

1. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

this decision is time sensitive and I would appreciate anyone who will weigh in with their thoughts on it.

I have a presentation on Monday which I absolutely need a computer for. I only get paid at the end of the month, but due to the situation I am willing to use my credit card.

I am considering between a refurb macbook pro for 1499 or a 1.86 ghZ macbook air which is 2549.

Now if I buy the macbook air, my credit card will pretty much be maxed out and for me that is scary.

However, I used to have the early 2008 MBP and actually sold it because I was planning to buy a Macbook air since i needed something lighter for travel. So buying the same laptop that I just sold makes me kinda dumb.

The ironic thing is now when the MBA is finally available, I am getting cold feet due to its price, which while I can afford, is pricey, very pricey.

Macbooks are out of the question as the glassy screen is the spoiler.

thoughts? Should I follow my heart and just get the MBA anyways? Or use my head and get the cheaper refurb Macbook pro ?

Do you think I would lose less in resale value by getting the pro? or will the Air offer better resale value?

thanks guys and girls! :)

2. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

You know the MacBook Air has a glossy screen, too, right? :confused:

3. zer0tails thread starter macrumors 65816

zer0tails

yes, i know it has a glossy screen but it's not glass. I found the glass screen was too reflective for me.

4. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

This likely comes down to a question of, what are you going to be using it for?

5. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

6. CaneCollegeboy macrumors regular

You already had the pro and sold it thinking of getting an Air? Id lean towards the Air but the price is hefty.

7. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

MBP

better performance, not that a keynote or ppt would crash an air, but the zippier performance would be nice.

EDIT:

how much are you traveling?

8. zer0tails thread starter macrumors 65816

zer0tails

My usage will be light. Mostly powerpoint presentations, word documents, excel sheets, and internet surfing.

I have my mac pro at home for the heavy lifting.

Given a choice between the 1299 MBA and a refurb MBP, i'll go with the pro as I don't want to deal with issues of core shut downs.

I commute daily 5 days a week.

edit: I should also add that I sold my iPhone thinking that with the portability of the Air, I wouldn't need two internet devices to carry around.

9. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

if you have another computer at home to do all the work, then go for the air.

10. zer0tails thread starter macrumors 65816

zer0tails

thanks to everyone who has responded so far.

Ok what do you think if I asked it in this way:

which is a better investment: refurb macbook pro or macbook air? :p

11. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

It seems like the MBA may be a better choice for you. You sold your MBP for portability, and you don't seem to be using apps that'll use the power of a MBP. MBA is super portable, and doesn't have the glass screen, but is definitely pricier. I personally say, follow your heart and get the MBA.

PS. Have you considered getting the 1.6 with an SSD? That'd save you a bit.

12. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

i would say that the air would hold the most value in general, but i bet you would take a bigger loss on the high end MBA vs the entry level one.

13. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

I second that. With SSD prices dropping so rapidly, it would make more sense to buy the HDD version and then upgrade to the SSD when you really need to.

14. zer0tails thread starter macrumors 65816

zer0tails

I actually have considered the HDD model and getting the 1.6 with SSD. Would love to save the money there. However, those would be BTO options and would not be ready by Monday: my important presentation day.

I've been looking into laptop rentals around my area but so far no luck. They loan laptops but they can only be used in the library itself.

It's interesting that people said the MBA would be a better investment in that it's better value.

I was always under the impression that the more expensive the laptop is, the bigger the loss when you sell it.

But you've all given me food for thought now...so I shall mull it over

15. Carl Abudephane, Nov 12, 2008
    Last edited: May 6, 2012
  16. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

I have to agree with what everyone has said, go for the Air. Especially because you have the Mac Pro at home for the more demanding processes! You sound like the exact market for the Air and I wouldn't regret slapping that kind of money down because it will pay off in weight, portability, etc.

17. zer0tails thread starter macrumors 65816

zer0tails

@ Carl and kajitox: you're not too late! and thanks so much for sharing your opinions. :)

finances wise, it won't leave me in a precarious situation. If it did, I wouldn't have a hard time deciding or have posted this thread.

It'll just make my wallet a lot lighter :p

as a side note..I don't think I've followed my heart as much as I should have in life..and this may be the perfect opportunity to start..funny that it's because of a laptop :p but at least it's a mac so that's ok.

18. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

In a thread of this type, normally I'd say go with the MBP; it's a terrific computer, fast, powerful, great specs, splendid screen, durable, etc. I have one myself and am very happy with it, and it is my main computer.

However, you already have a Mac Pro to do the heavy duty stuff, and so don't really require a MBA. In those circumstances, I'd suggest what some of the other posters have suggested, follow your heart, and your earlier decision to sell the MBP, go for the MBA, and enjoy it fully. You can always sell and/or upgrade later.

Cheers and good luck

19. yoppie macrumors 6502a

It's clear that the MacBook Air is for you. You can't get any clearer when you sell you sell your MacBook Pro for no other reason than it's too heavy. Go on and make the move. You know you want too.

20. zer0tails thread starter macrumors 65816

zer0tails

Alright, in a few hours I'll be dropping by my local Apple store to pick one up.

wish me luck! :p

21. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Good luck with your planned purchase and let us know how you get on.

Cheers and good luck

22. zer0tails thread starter macrumors 65816

zer0tails

Picked it up, and all is great so far :) I am feeling a little bit guilty for spending this much money but hopefully that feeling will wear off soon :p

thanks yo all who offered their thoughts and advice.

I'm planning to write a kick ass review of this sometime next week once I'm done with my presentation on Monday.

stay tuned!