Urgent... Mail App not working

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jackmack, May 2, 2008.

1. jackmack macrumors regular

Out of all the programs that could fail, I really wish this one didn't, lol.

Long story short...

My computer (mac book pro 17" santa rosa) freaked out and I had to manually power it off.

When I powered it back on, all seemed well, but when I launched my mail app, it said something about a corrupted database or preference file or something, and it had to do a recovery thing.

When it finished, nothing quite works the same.

First off... I can't quit the mail app when it is open... not by cmd+q, or anything. I have to forcequit it.

Second... it does not grab mail anymore... it just keeps showing me the same mail I've already gotten yesterday.

I already tried removing the apple.mail.plist file, but when i re-set up my account, it had the same problems.

Any help would be greatl appreciated.

2. svenr macrumors regular

Make a copy of the [your user account]/Library/Mail folder in a different place. Delete the old one.

Set up Mail completely fresh, i.e. delete prefs files and re-enter your account info.

If you had IMAP accounts, the mail will be on the server and just gets downloaded again. If you had POP accounts, go to File->Import Mailboxes, choose Mail for Mac OS X and re-import from the backup copy you made above.

If the backup copy is not readable for some reason, try Emailchemy:
    http://www.weirdkid.com/products/emailchemy/index.html

3. jackmack thread starter macrumors regular

Bless you good sir!

4. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

If you have Time Machine you can also do this to recover all your mail.