URGENT Mail help needed

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by agentphish, Aug 23, 2008.

1. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

Greetings Everyone...
    I need some very urgent help with Apple Mail.

I have just formatted my Fiancee's Powerbook that was running Leopard. She had been using her gMail account (IMAP) and an account from her work (also IMAP).

I backed up the entire mail folder from her /users/HERUSERNAME/Library/Mail folder.

Now that I've gotten Leopard reinstalled, and I have set up her gMail account in Apple Mail, I can not seem to reimport her email that I have saved.

I am assuming that IMAP functions differently from POP, and I don't have a ton of experience with it, but I think that I've read the point of it is so that you don't have to backup your mail, and it always lives on the server. Please correct me if I am wrong.

In any event, I need to import the message back into mail, and all of the different folders and message rules she had set up.

Can someone please help me out?
    Thanks!

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

use the Import mailboxes feature, choose "Mail for Mac OS X" then choose the Mail folder you backed up.

3. agentphish thread starter macrumors 65816

agentphish

Now that I've gotten Leopard reinstalled, and I have set up her gMail account in Apple Mail, I can not seem to reimport her email that I have saved.

I can't import it. Mail just tells me there's no messages found at all when I point it to the folder where all the .imapmbox files are.

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008