[URGENT] Make Mac Mail sync Sent Folder

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Yin, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Yin macrumors member

Hello,

I'm desperately trying to make my Mac Mail application sync not only the inbox but also the sent folder.

Problem: Sometimes I send mails via phone or directly via the web service because my macbook is not available. In this case, the sent mail does not appear in my Mac Mail application.

Is there a solution to my problem?

Thank you very much!

2. Yin thread starter macrumors member

3. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

What is the setting on the SMTP setting email account in your Mail's Preference file?

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

What mail service are you using? All you need to do is set everything up using IMAP and the folders will be universal across devices.

5. Yin thread starter macrumors member

The setting on the SMTP should be right. There is only the server name of my mail clients.

I use the mail service of my company (imap).

to clarify the problem: I send a mail from my mobile and my goal is that this email appears in the sent folder of my mail application.

Thank you!

6. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

If you are using IMAP all sent messages should be saved to a folder on the server and read by all devices. When you send from your computer, does the sent message get saved in a folder on your computer or on the server?

7. Hansr macrumors 6502a

Make sure the same server folder is selected for sent mail on both under the IMAP advanced settings.

8. aristobrat macrumors G4

I can't get Mail to "sync" the Sent folder on my IMAP account with the Sent folder in Mail (the one with the paper airplane next to it).

If I send an email from my Mac, Mail puts it in the "paper airplane" Sent folder (red arrow), as well as the Sent folder on the IMAP server. So that part is cool.

If I send an email from my iPad/iPhone, they also put it in the Sent folder on the IMAP server, but it won't sync back down to the "paper airplane" Sent folder on my Mac. Not so cool.

On my Mac, I can see the contents of the Sent folder on the IMAP server (which has everything) by looking for the Sent folder listed in with all of my IMAP folders. (green arrow) That's my workaround. :/

Attached Files:

9. Yin thread starter macrumors member

With this approach I've been able to solve my problem. Thank you!

Is there a way to establish such a solution for my hotmail account (does not support imap)

10. Hansr macrumors 6502a

As per my comment above, you can assign the Sent Mail folder on the IMAP listing to be the default Sent folder Under the mailbox menu bar item.

As for the Hotmail thing, I recommend having the gmail account pull the hotmail server via POP but if you want to send via that account it might be an issue.

11. aristobrat macrumors G4

Thanks, I didn't see that.

So select the Sent folder in the IMAP folder list, then click on Mailbox > Use This Mailbox For > Sent

12. Yin thread starter macrumors member

13. Yin thread starter macrumors member

I've used the gmail solution for my mail for a few days now. however, there is still a tiny thing that bugs me.

gmail creates folders (which contain the labels) in a folder called [google mail]. The subfolders are not the problem. I can use them for sent, etc. However, after there are no more subfolders in the folder [google mail], the folder still exists. Therefore, instead of only the mailbox and the local header, I have three (the third being the gmail account).

Can I hide the gmail account header on the left side? After all it does not contain anything.

14. aristobrat macrumors G4

Thru gmails settings (via the web interface) you can control which labels appear as imap folders.

15. Yin thread starter macrumors member

as i said the labels are not the problem. i have already deactivated those i don't need and assigned the rest to inbox, sent, etc.

however, even though there are no more subfolders in the folder "gmail", the folder still exists. it is completely empty and cannot be deleted. i'm looking for a way to hide this folder.

thank you

16. kurtreinmcw macrumors newbie

Sync Gmail with Mac Mail, iPad folders

This was a great fix. I wanted to elaborate more to help others with this quirk that is very frustrating.

First, be sure to go into the 'manage labels' in you gmail online settings. CLean up any folders, specically, the 'sent messages' folder that Mac Mail can create. Also be sure the the real gmail 'sent' folder is 'shown in the IMAP list' It's a checkbox. Then, in Mac Mail, select folder you are trying to sync out of the gmail IMAP list in Mac Mail. Then, while it's selected, go to the 'Mailbox' Menu, choose 'Use this Mailbox for" - select 'sent'. The folder will then move up to the top left Mailboxes list and be uses across Mac Mail and Gmail.

Kurt
    www.MobileComputerWizard.com
    San Diego Computer Repair

Attached Files: