URGENT: MBP dead?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lego8, Jul 18, 2008.

1. lego8 macrumors regular

lego8

Hi,

I just opened my MBP C2D using instructions from ifixit. Now, when I turn on the machine the screen's backlight is not on. I can see a little bit of the screen if I put in the sun, but the backlight is not working.

Has anyone heard of the problem before? Could anything I have done inside cause this? (I didn't do anything beside look around.)

Please help

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Why did you take it apart just to look at it? Anything could've come loose.

3. lego8 thread starter macrumors regular

lego8

Also, when I boot up into OS X and try to raise the screen brightness it does not work. I can see the diagram on the screen showing the brightness increasing, but it does not actually increase.

(On a side note, I can't see a mouse either. Perhaps this is because the screen is dark, but maybe it can help diagnose the issue.)

4. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Since we don't really know what you did (besides "look around"), it'll be pretty hard for us to diagnose the problem.

Chances are you disconnected something and forgot to reattach it.

On a side not, it was pretty silly to open up your computer for no reason whatsoever. I swapped out my hard drive once, but don't really ever want to have to do that again.

5. killerwhack macrumors regular

killerwhack

You have two choices

1. Take it to the Apple store and have them fix it.

2. Take it apart again and look for a loose or damaged ribbon cable. If it is simply disconnected, carefully re-connect. If it is damaged, because it got pinched as you put your machine back together, then you have a problem. You may buy a replacement from ifixit.com or jump to #1.

6. lego8 thread starter macrumors regular

lego8

I didn't disattach any wires. I think I moved (physically moved without disconnecting anything) a wire in the upper left hand corner. But it was still attached any everything... Where chould this problem have originated? What part of the computer controls the display brightness?

7. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Probably a problem with the inverter that powers the fluorescent lamp that lights the display.

8. lego8 thread starter macrumors regular

lego8

Update: I found the mouse. It was hiding somewhere.

9. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

10. lego8 thread starter macrumors regular

lego8

I have the LED display. I'm going to open it back up and look for something wrong.

11. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I don't know what this means?

12. lego8 thread starter macrumors regular

lego8

13. lego8 thread starter macrumors regular

lego8

Sorry - I thought only LCDs have a floursecent lamp.

14. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Yes, of course it does. If there's any scratch marks around the case or loose screws they'll know. If you have AppleCare take it to an Apple Store and get them to fix it.

You're right about the inverter board. There's still a piece at back that powers the LED display.

15. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

No, opening the computer does not void the warranty. However, causing something to break by opening your computer will not be covered.

EX: I opened my mbp to put in a larger hard drive and had no problems. A few months later, my keyboard failed. Whoever repaired it could probably tell that I had a larger HD then what originally came with it. However, since it was clear that the keyboard had just (for whatever reason) died, I was ok.

They probably won't be able to tell immediately that you opened your computer but if they pop it open to fix the backlight and notice something like the wire pinched in the lid or something similar, they might be suspicious.

16. lego8 thread starter macrumors regular

lego8

OK. I've got the computer open again. I don't see any pinched wires-- good. I don't see a problem with the inverter, either. What should I be looking for? Also, can I turn the machine on to test it while it's open?

17. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Yes

18. lego8 thread starter macrumors regular

lego8

I've been looking, and I can't find that inverter piece from the picture at ifixit posted here.

19. lego8 thread starter macrumors regular

lego8

Awesome. It works now (with the case open). Not sure what I did...

20. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

It doesn't have it because it's an LED display. It has an LED display board driver. I didn't know you had an LED display earlier.