Urgent: Need Help Now My FreeAgent HDD Isn't Working

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by northy124, Apr 14, 2008.

1. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

Help me I think I have broken my freeagent drive as it won't connect to my MacBook.

I got home from school and disconected it after the Mac Said it is safe but now it not showing, after i plug it in the light comes up for 10 seconds then goes again, This drive has everything I need School work, iTunes Library(200GB). I need serious help now.

Please help as this is important and urgent to me(Need my coursework).

Northy124

Edit: Light stays on with Windows PC But nothing comes up. If this is dead I'm going to smash this piece of s*** of a Mac as it is meant to be the best yet can't tell me it is safe or not safe to take out the Ex. HDD. Seriously I will chuck it out and go back to Windows.

2. northy124 thread starter macrumors 68020

northy124

It appears my USB Ports stopped working as me being me I hit the dam MacBook and they started to register the FreeAgent Drive, Does anyone know why they stopped working so I can avoid this in future?

3. PodPacker macrumors regular

PodPacker

Not Your Mac

Seagate has been having trouble with their drives for a while. A coworker has one of those drives and he dumped it a few months ago, the case design is bad and is prone to damage. You should try to get your warranty coverage.
    It won't show up on a PC if you formatted it for Mac. Try it on another Mac. If you don't have coverage then you should open it up and use this

I recommend RocStor drives, I became a reseller of these after owning 2. They are the best I've ever had. Not just trying to sell you, I'm being completely honest.

4. northy124 thread starter macrumors 68020

northy124

Yes It Was My Mac

I discovered that the USB Ports wern't working becuase my iPod didn't show up and sync with iTunes.

How do I workout how they stopped working so I can prevent this in future?

5. jason999 macrumors member

Seagate free agent ext drives are of a really poor design. Worst cases they ever made. Plastic rubbish. Oh for the days of their older stronger cases that hardly ever broke down. The latest free agent ones are rubbish.

What may have happened in your case is that the drive inside the casing may
    have become lose on the connection. Open it up and make sure the cable of the drive connection is in properly and also look at the power cable to make sure that is on correctly.

6. northy124 thread starter macrumors 68020

northy124

OK I'll check that out, But how does that explain that my iPod wasn't showing in Finder or iTunes after I plugged it in the same port and it didn't show up anywhere????? So it must of been the USB Ports