URGENT: Need help on how to connect my MacBook Pro to a Computer Screen!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mwan.uop, Aug 26, 2008.

1. mwan.uop macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I have a MacBook Pro and I recently shattered my screen. I'm about to buy a monitor instead of replacing my current screen because it costs nearly a thousand dollars. Seeing that this is the case, I decided that I want to use my MacBook Pro as a desktop since it is so costly to replace the screen. Please give me some tips on how I can connect my MacBook with a computer monitor without having to use the screen (because mine is completely broken). Thanks! :apple:

2. justinm macrumors member

Plug your monitor in, open the laptop, press the power button, then close the laptop. You now will have the desktop on the external screen.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

1. Connect an external monitor via the DVI port
    2. Attach/pair a mouse and keyboard
    3. Close the MacBook's screen
    4. ??????
    5. PROFIT

You might need to wake the laptop with the keyboard but it'll work otherwise.

4. hobbbz macrumors 6502a

hobbbz

1. Work
    2. Take money received from work and buy a monitor
    3. Plugin the monitor
    4. Connect your mac to the monitor using the included mini-dvi -> DVI cable

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

If you shattered your screen, I assume some impressive force would have to be applied which would damage surrounding components, if in clamshell mode.

You may want to make sure the rest of the unit works first (hard drive/fan spin up. Ambient sensors).

If those react it should be ok.
    Just sayin :)

6. mwan.uop thread starter macrumors newbie

You guys are very helpful... Thanks for the tips! Didn't know you guys were on the ball like that!

EDIT: By the way, the laptop fell off my coffee table causing only the screen to malfunction. Aside from that, the hard drive still spins and you can still see colors on my screen, but no formidable images!

7. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

yep

MacBook Pros have full size DVI ports. No need for the adapter.

8. mwan.uop thread starter macrumors newbie

Do they manufacture longer DVI to DVI cables?

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

How long?

10. skiesforme macrumors 6502

skiesforme

Cables !

Here you go => DVI Cables

Alternatively, you might need this => DVI to Analog 15 ft

Hope this helps !

11. sra. Aguirre macrumors regular

sra. Aguirre

Two monitors and 1 MBP?

Would this work if I just wanted an extra monitor with a working MBP screen? Does the standard videocard support two monitors, or am I still living in PC mode? (I recently switched to Mac...)

If so, what are the steps I need to follow for setup?

12. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Running the laptop in clamshell mode allows you to use the external display as the only and primary display.

13. skiesforme macrumors 6502

skiesforme

I assume you would have the Macbook open and not in clamshell mode.
    Yes it works ! I don't have my Mac with me now but this is what I remember :-
    Connect the external monitor to your Macbook(Pro)
    Settings>Display>Mirror Displays would "mirror" displays on both the Macbook and the External Monitor.
    Alternatively you can select dual display [1] and [2] and also choose which of the displays ([1] or [2]) has the Dock and Menubar.

14. sra. Aguirre macrumors regular

sra. Aguirre

You guys are the absolute best!!! thanks for very valuable and helpful info!:)

15. skir0987 macrumors regular

You could, if you wanted to, get the screen repaired at iresq.com for $500... that is, if it is a 15" MacBook Pro. I think they'll replace the 17" screen for around $650. I had my iPod Touch screen replaced there, and I can say that they have very good service. You get free overnight two-way shipping with your order so you should have your computer back within 3-4 days after you sent it in. Good luck :)

-Shep

16. jstech macrumors newbie

macbook pro not mirroring

Tried this and it didn't work- not on an lcd tv and not on a flat screen computer monitor. switvched cables until i felt like i was playing with spaghetti. it still didn't work
    need to connect mac to monitor or projector in order to deliver presentations!

17. skiesforme macrumors 6502

skiesforme

Simple !

Its pretty straightforward ! I'm assuming you switched the LCD TV/Monitor to the right Input mode.
    If you have a Macbook Pro you need this (DVI to VGA):-
    [​IMG]

If you have a Macbook, you would need this(mini DVI to DVI) in addition to the cable above(DVI to VGA):-
    [​IMG]

18. jstech macrumors newbie

re=connect macbook pro to monitor

if i have a dvi on the macbook pro and a dvi on the monitor, why do i need to convert to vga? isn't this degrading the signal?

19. skiesforme macrumors 6502

skiesforme

I wasn't aware that your monitor has DVI. If you have DVI on both devices isn't it terribly simple ??!! :)
    DVI to DVI
    I really have no idea what confused you into a spaghetti_mess_of_wires ... :p
    In future for any sorts of cables etc go to www.monoprice.com and use Search ! ;)
    All the best !

20. Mmmbeer macrumors newbie

help, I have another prob.

Can someone help me please. I also have a shattered screen on my MacBook Pro :(
    I attached an old dell CRT to the port and can see my desktop bachground. The problem is I cant see the dock or the top toolbar. how can i get to the apps or the display controls when i have nothing to click?
    Thanks in advance for you input.

Joe