Urgent: Need new components for my aged iBook G4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Adrianus, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Adrianus macrumors member

Ok, so i have a second hand iBook G4. After tripping over the charger cable many times the charger broke inside the charger socket. So the deal is I need to get a new charger socket or i can´t charge it anymore.

Does anyone know where I can get the iBook fixed?
    Can Apple fix it, even though i have no warranty?

2. goldfronts macrumors member

it definitely wouldn't hurt to call and ask. i'm not sure how much it would cost you though

or, if you feel up to it, see what ebay has for parts and try and fix it yourself

3. California macrumors 68040

California

Getting a new power-in board and putting it on is not that big of a deal, as I recall. It's a little piece that fits onto the logic board. Go to ifixit and analyze their photos.

Also upgrade ram and hard drive while it is open. I've dropped dual layer dvd burners in old iBooks to much success. Just do it while the machine is open.

4. Adrianus thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys.
    ifixit had everything i needed on there.:D
    You´re sure it´s completely reliable?

5. California macrumors 68040

California

Their parts are probably reliable but I would not buy their expensive hard drives or optical drives.

I'm sure there is some warranty on the power in board, too.

6. Adrianus thread starter macrumors member

Went to an Apple store yesterday and they said the power board was alright. They gave me a new charger and it works fine now. I´m considering changing some things on my mac, like the optical drive. I want to get one that can write DVDs as well as everything else. Do you think i could get one in an Apple store or do i have to get it over internet? Any idea on the price?