Urgent! Need to format My Passport to Windows!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ozreth, May 12, 2010.

1. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

I am exchanging my MBP today and need to back up both my OSX drive and my Windows 7 drive. Problem is I am using a WD My Passport which comes formatted for OSX.

I tried partitioning the drive into to halves, and formatting one half to Fat32 but Windows still did not read it. When I plug it in while booted into Windows it reads the OSX half of the drive but not the Windows partition.

Also, I am using an OEM version of Windows. I just realized that when I go install it on the new MBP I will be screwed huH?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Can you post screenshots of what Disk Utility and Disk Manager see the drive as now?

Re: OEM, you'll likely have to call up Microsoft, tell them your motherboard died, but will get it to work. But while you are on hold with them think if the money you saved was really worth it.

B

3. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

Here are the readings in disk utility, be back in a moment with disk manager

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Disk manager:

[​IMG]

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Sorry. The problem is it is Apple Partition Map so windows won't see it.

Make your windows backup from os x with Winclone uncompressed dmg and you should be fine. Later, fix the partition map to GPT or MBR.

B