Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kris251069

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2002
Belgium
Hi all

I need some urgent advice. I need a new mobile phone soon as my old one is behaving badly. I was looking into the Nokia 3650 and the Sony Ericsson T610 . Both are looking quite nice, have built in camera, bluetooth, organiser functions, polyphonic sounds, etc...
I really don't know which to choose. I visited the Nokia and Sony Ericsson site about 2000 times in the last 3 days.
Please give me some advice before I will loose my mind. :confused:

PS. I am not English speaking so sorry for the language mistakes.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
well i have the t68i and i love it. the t610 isnt one i have played with, but i read about. it looked like a really awesome phone, and i believe it was only a little bit bigger than the t68i. the nokia was an awesome phone but after getting my t68i i realized that the nokia is so damn big. i would get the sony ericsson.

iJon

alia

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2003
Tampa, FL (Orlando, 2003 - 2023)
If you can, you might want to hop over to a cellular dealer and try them out in person. Sometimes how a phone fits in your hand or how easy the buttons are to push can really have an impact on your experience as a user.

BTW, your English is quite good!

Alia

Tiauguinho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2002
The Netherlands
I was at the same situation then you. I was always a Nokia user ( since the 2110 times) but i switched to Sony Ericsson. I couldnt be happier with my T610! Its a wonderfull cell phone and works perfectly with my Mac. The 65k colors displays is awsome! And the interface is very easy! I recommend you the T610.

meta-ghost

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2002
San Francisco
Nokia 3650

i have the 3650 and it's working great for me. it is larger and the circular keyboard input at first seems awkward but if your going to use the pda functions and will be inputting text there is a certain ergonomic efficiency to it. syncs well with bluetooth (apple says ical and to do will be supported later). the part that wasn't on my top list of needs was the camera and video playback, however, i'm really liking this bit. i've been transfering imovies from my computer back onto the camera's removable memory card and playing them from there. the t610 wasn't available when i needed a phone but i don't know if i would have gone with it anyway. the 3650 has a larger screen.

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
I can't find any provider that sells the 610... I want one really badly and I can only find them to buy "unlocked" online... :(

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Since his phone was "behaving badly", he probably needs a phone. Lots of people can't live without their mobile phone on them. ;)

I would get the Ericsson because I hate Nokia phones, the company in general, and if such a person exists, I also hate Mr. Nokia. :D

And by placing your ear close to the antenna, you increase your chances of acquiring a brain tumour. I've never seen the Nokia phone you're talking about, but since all recent Nokia phones have their antenna built internally inside the phone, you place your ear directly against the wire every time you use it, and so it's a health risk. Phones WITH the antenna sticking out of the top of the phone are better for you. I didn't read this about the Nokia, but I read it about the cancerous effects of mobile phone antennas in general, looked at a Nokia phone, and put 2 + 2 together. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. :confused:

visor

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2003
in bed
Re: urgent : Nokia 3650 or Sony Ericsson T610

Originally posted by kris251069
Hi all

I need some urgent advice. I need a new mobile phone soon as my old one is behaving badly. I was looking into the Nokia 3650 and the Sony Ericsson T610 . Both are looking quite nice, have built in camera, bluetooth, organiser functions, polyphonic sounds, etc...

Well, I've only played with the beta versions of the phones. The nokia was more reliable.
T610 crashed frequently, esp. when unlocking the keyboard, which was extremely unnerving. I would hope the fixed that now. isync works far better with the T610, also, as benefit, the salling clicker is availably and neatly working on the 610.

The System of the Nokia however, is very much more like it in terms of usability, the Nokia cam is generations better, the cam of the 610 is just a cheap gadget, same on the P800 btw.

However, while the T610 looks kind of strange, the reaction of anyone I confronted it with,was, igs, ugly, The size of the 610 way better than the Nokias.
The Nokia is really huge, but then - I like smalll devices.. ,)

The Nokia can be easier extendet , the Symbian60 Series has quite a bit of software freely available, as it emerged from the old Epoc system.
I've no idea about the 610's system. It does run java games...

technocoy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2002
Raleigh, NC
get the t610

i've work with sony ericsson, ad i have been using the prototype for quite a while and it is great. I just finally bought a production version from cingular the other day and so far it is flawless, works great with all my mac stuff, and you can download tetris and asteroids, it comes with qbert and you can get pac man... not to mention it looks bad-ass with my powerbook Ti, stainless desk, and griffin powermate!!! lol no really unless you need the video function... the t610 is a better phone. and by the way, if you go to cingular, it's called the t616(different bandwidths for cingular) and they fixed the hissing from the first release of the t610! :D

hope that helps,
technocoy

kris251069

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2002
Belgium
I bought the Nokia 3650

I went for the Nokia 3650 and it works great. The screen of the Nokia is bigger, the one on the Sony Ericsson has more colours, so here they play even.
The camera on the Nokia has more pixels than the one on the Sony Ericsson, although the quality of the camera on the SE is also good, so that was not that a big point neither.
The thing that really did me go to the Nokia was the memory. The Nokia comes with 20Mb memory, 4 in the phone itself an 16 on a memory card. The Sony Ericsson comes only with 2Mb which is, when you want to take a lot of pictures very little.
And I nice gadget feature on the Nokia is that you can take small videos with it. I am not sure of the Sony Ericsson is offering this feature too.

PS. I am not English speaking so sorry for the language mistakes.

Draft

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2002
Chicago, IL
I know that this is 2 months late, but based purely on phone reception, I think that the Nokia is better. I did a little searching around recently and found that people had reception problems with the Sony Ericsson. So, I too am going with the Nokia based on this. I think that these 2 phones are nearly the same except for a few small points, like reception, making me choose the Nokia.

Draft

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
T610 in my opinion

I had the same problem until I actually tried both in the store, the Nokia's keys felt cheap and the round dial set-up was very awkward. So, I bought the T610 and I've found its a great phone, iSync using Bluetooth works well, and the Salling Clicker program (a shareware app that lets you control your mac using Bluetooth) is very cool. The reception is good, the menus responsive, and I have never liked the menu systems in the Nokias.

Good luck.

Also, Amazon.com has a rebate on the phone. (I'm not sure if you're in the U.S. or not)

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
had seen and used all three. so which do i think is the best?

lets say this is my icon in iSync:

Attachments

• t610.png
    t610.png
    4.5 KB · Views: 219

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
I've had horrible problems w/ the T616, between defective cameras, dead pixels, to bad reception... I went through 2 of them and gave up. I really wanted that phone... sigh... oh well.

ColoJohnBoy

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2003
Denver, Colorado
Strange. I haven't had a single problem with the T616, and it's essentially the same phone as the T610. I would get it, if not for anything else, for the fact that it's the best looking mobile out there.

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
T616 is used for the Northern American GSM system. I believe that the frequencies are 850/1900/????

Basically the T610 does 900/1800/1900.

In the US it is carrier and state dependent. In Australia we all use the same frequencies as most of europe.

Stojamow

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2003
London
HUMMMM.....

Do you need a bluetooth etc ?!? However, the main reason to go for Nokia is the MENU for me. It is just so much better. The Nokia's Ive been using are very reliable. I do have a Nokia 8110 which is having its 10th birthday quite soon. The Communicator works nice as well.

after all, I think it is all about the taste

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
I agree - the older nokias are great. When my most recent nokia (3310) had to go in for service i pulled out a still working 5110. These phones were unbreakable.
Nowdays though … it seems that SE is makeing better quality built phones followed closely by Moto and Siemens (love the SL55 BTW - just i need BT) and last and IMO least - nokia.

It is a matter of taste - when i switched i did it from a 3310 to a t28 and have never looked back - my friend went from a 3315 -> T100 and is trying to get the money to buy a T310 or T610. Another friend took a T100 over all the other low end phones (inc. 2100).

Really, use them. If you need features and cant afford AUD1500 - get an SE, they are better value for money. Get a nokia if you want to have a phone with nokia written on it.

Macnasien

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2003
Irvine, California
I bought a T610 and don't regret it. Since i have it, i hadend any problems. Everything is great ! If i have to choose again, my choice would be the same.

Draft

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2002
Chicago, IL
Originally posted by benixau
If you need features and cant afford AUD1500 - get an SE, they are better value for money. Get a nokia if you want to have a phone with nokia written on it.

The 3650 was free from Amazon. The T610 was over $100. I'd say that the Nokia is the best deal out there right now.

Draft

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2002
Chicago, IL
I keep forgetting, but the 3650 also has expandable memory. This extra space will prove to be invaluable for development, media, and other things as well. Another great reason to choose the Nokia over the Sony Ericsson.

Draft

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.