URGENT oibruvv malware and crash - HELP

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by KenanGarrett, Feb 3, 2012.

1. KenanGarrett macrumors newbie

Dear Users,

Last night while using chrome, every page no matter what came up with an error message saying "Warning! Something's not right here!" and along the lines of "We have detected malware from oibruvv.com" and it told me I shouldn't proceed and should remove whatever it was.

I can't find anything to do with this. So then I downloaded a malware thing said to fix oibruvv on WINDOWS - I thought parallel desktop might be able to fix it..and now my iMac is sometimes having a curtain like screen come down and telling me I need to power down my comp! What the heck?

PLEASE help.

-Kenan

2. KenanGarrett thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow

The problem just became more serious. No matter what, if my iMac is on for 2 minutes I get the "You need to restart your computer" screen. I don't even have to log into my user, it'll happen at the default login OS X screen.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That malware is Windows malware and cannot harm your Mac. If you installed a Windows app on your Parallels desktop, you may have installed a trojan which will affect Windows, but not Mac OS X.

1. Clear your browser's cookies and cache

2. Delete any non-essential or suspicious items from the following locations:

• System Preferences > Accounts > yourusername > Login Items
        (Lion users: System Preferences > Users & Groups > yourusername > Login Items)

• /Library/LaunchAgents/ and ~/Library/LaunchAgents/
        (Lion users: In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > then enter the path)

• /Library/StartupItems/
        (Lion users: In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > then enter the path)

3. Restart your computer.

4. Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes", then click on the Process Name column heading once or twice, so the arrow points up (processes are in alphabetical order).

5. Post screen shots of the Activity Monitor window (take one screen shot, then scroll down and take another, to capture all processes running). Post the screen shots here.

Taking Screenshots in Mac OS X
      How to add a picture to a forum post

Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 10 years ago. You cannot infect your Mac simply by visiting a website, unzipping a file, opening an email attachment or joining a network. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which cannot infect your Mac unless you actively install them, and they can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install. Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.

4. dknightd macrumors 6502

were you running windows when you got this oibruvv.com malware?

If you are getting the kernel panic screen without doing anything, then I'd suspect a hardware problem. Do you have applecare?

5. KenanGarrett thread starter macrumors newbie

Library

Thanks, but I feel like a complete newb. What is wrong if my Library isn't showing up under my username?

6. KenanGarrett thread starter macrumors newbie

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Pay attention to the notes in my post in parentheses that begin with: (Lion users:

8. KenanGarrett thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry

Ah, sorry about that. I'll go to the search bar and enter in login items. Do my screenshots provide any hints?

----------

So, there was nothing that appeared under startup items for some reason. Maybe they are invisible to me? I don't know how to make them visible.

I checked the other areas and there wasn't anything weird. And then I got the kernel panic again, sigh.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I haven't gone through all of them, but so far, I don't see anything suspicious.
    No, they're not invisible. It's not unusual if there's nothing there.
    The kernel panics are not related to malware. There's another issue causing those, which needs to be diagnosed.

"You need to restart your computer" (kernel panic) message appears (Mac OS X v10.5, 10.6)
    Mac OS X 10.7 Help: If “You need to restart your computer” appears

10. KenanGarrett thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, but what about oibruvv?

Alright guys thanks. So the kernel problem is separate apparently..

But what about oibruvv? Does anyone know how to get rid of this google chrome error, saying malware has been detected from a site known as oibruvv? Nothing in a google search turns up any results, it seems very new.

11. GGJstudios, Feb 3, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2012

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Check your DNS settings by reading: Why am I being redirected to other sites?
    What do you have showing as your DNS servers?

Also, does the warning show up only on particular sites? Post a link to one of the sites.

12. KenanGarrett thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright

Hey there, thanks for the suggestion. This happens on EVERY site I visit. As demonstrated in this screenshot, even if I go to google.com I get the error.

Also shown is the one DNS server on the list.

Screen Shot 2012-02-03 at 9.50.24 PM.png Screen Shot 2012-02-03 at 9.49.01 PM.png

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's not a DNS server. That's your own computer. Use the last link I posted to add OpenDNS servers. Also, disable any plug-ins, extensions, etc. from your browser.

14. KenanGarrett thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, but problem persists

Thanks for the suggestion. I added the open DNS server to the system preferences, and disabled any sort of plugin with my browser, however the problem continues.

oibruvv.com malware continues to be an issue for my Mac. Any thoughts on how to discover malware and delete it? Users from windows say they deleted particular files from their registry. Can I do a similar thing here?

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There is no registry in Mac OS X and there is no Mac OS X malware on your computer. Create a new login account on your Mac, login to that account and try to surf the web. Post the results here.

16. KenanGarrett thread starter macrumors newbie

New LogIn, No Issue

Interesting suggestion! When I created a new account there was no issue. And sorry, I didn't mean to suggest it was mac malware. I just meant the issue of it saying there was malware on my mac.

So...if it doesn't show up in a new login...what does that mean I should do? Thanks for your help.

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As I said in my first post, there is Mac OS X malware in the wild, but it requires the user to actively install it. None of the Mac trojans produce the problems that you're experiencing.
    Have you tried using Safari on your normal user account?

18. KenanGarrett thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes

Ah, yes. Indeed, this only happens in Google Chrome. Firefox and Safari do not display these messages when I visit websites. But even if I delete chrome and download it again, it keeps happening.

I was worried that Chrome was catching something that neither Safari nor Firefox were detecting.

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you want to fully delete Chrome, use the following instructions.

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:
    Then try reinstalling it.

20. KenanGarrett thread starter macrumors newbie

21. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Glad you got it worked out! Sounds like it was possibly something like a setting in the Chrome .plist file.

22. shiee macrumors newbie

oibruvv malware

i'm having this problem too, i deleted google chrome a few times already and reinstalled it, it's still doing the same

23. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you delete it using all of the instructions I posted in post #19?