Urgent OS X question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AppleGoat, Aug 11, 2011.

1. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

As some of you may know, I have the Crucial M4 running on '11 13-inch MBP, Snow Leopard 10.6.8 -- experienced the well-documented beach ball stuttering, installed the Firmware 0002 yesterday, still the same problem. I have reformatted my hard drive, which entailed erasing my only partition and replacing it with something new. Gonna let my computer sit for an hour as advised by Crucial (garbage collection). My question is:

Will I have to install the firmware v2 again?

2. AppleGoat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks! Would you recommend upgrading to Lion, I have been considering it for sometime. Or will that only add to my headaches?

3. Tiki35 macrumors 6502

Well, I like it, but there are a few too many bugs at the moment. If you were going to upgrade, I would for sure do a clean install and perhaps wait til 10.7.1 or maybe .2

4. AppleGoat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmm...I could wait but I'm kinda sick, at this point, of this fresh install nonsense. Then again, if the fresh install does not cure my Crucial M4 woes, the drive is probably gonna be replaced by a Samsung 470. I'd have to look into the App store purchase policy. Perhaps, I could burn OS X 10.7 to disc.

5. Tiki35 macrumors 6502

You for sure can burn 10.7 to disc or even better to flash drive which makes installation much faster.

6. res1233 macrumors 65816

res1233

Most of the bugs in Lion are ones you can avoid once you know about them. For example: There's a bug when merging two fullscreen tabbed windows into one window, such as in Safari. There are other bugs here and there, but overall it isn't so bad. Fullscreen alone was worth the upgrade in my opinion. Mission control is also very mice. Launchpad seems completely useless since I don't even use the home screen on my iPhone anymore. I pretty much use the search function for everything on both my iPhone and my Mac, considering I have over 250 apps on my iPhone, and my mac has a full filesystem... I REALLY don't understand why some people want a full filesystem on their iPhones. I don't even want it on my mac.

7. AppleGoat thread starter macrumors 6502a

hmm...is it really that bad if I held off upgrading to Lion, then did it without a fresh install?

8. PaulyD macrumors 6502

Well im guessing you went from a relatively clean install of SL so can't imagine a problem though a fresh install on Lion seemed to help on my 3 month old SL install