Urgent: PC/Mac compatible DVD

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Bolteh, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Bolteh macrumors regular

I'm trying to burn my Flash Mediaplayer portfolio to DVD. This DVD needs to be compatible in both Windows as OSX.

I'm using a DVD I got from someone as an example. That DVD uses the principle of an autorun.inf for Windows, and an alias for OSX that leads to a new window with a custom background (typical .dmg style) with an alias to the .app file.

The root of the DVD looks like this:
    - "autorun.inf" (hidden)
    - folder "library" (hidden, all the files + the .exe and .app are in here)
    - and an alias called "Mediaplayer" (not hidden)

When I follow this structure for my DVD, the autorun works fine in Windows, but in OSX it gets messy. For starters, when inserting the DVD, it doesn't autostart (the other DVD does). If I open the DVD, it shows the autorun.inf and library folder (so they're not hidden), and the alias there automatically starts the .app, no new window or anything.

So how do I go about burning a DVD that autoruns on Windows, and does the window-with-custom-background-and-alias for OSX, while the content files are hidden?

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Check out this page...

They are trying to sell you software (macdisk) but they do provide some insight into how one might go about making an autorun disk for OS X. They also point out Apple disabled this feature.

Apparently there are workarounds even though Apple disabled autorun. More info is available over at adobe.

Still more here.