URGENT! PDF files won't open!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iViking, Mar 12, 2008.

1. iViking macrumors 6502

Hi,

Any other students up right now or others who might be able to help me?

I'm trying to work on a research paper and everytime I click on a .PDF file on the web, which usually just open automatically, now, instead, all I get is that spinning logo on a gray screen.

Why won't my PDF files open anymore? The spinning power meter thing just goes on forever.

I recently installed Adobe CS3 and feel like that has something to do with it because it came with Adobe Acrobat Professional.

(Or maybe it's something new with Leopard I didn't encounter with Tiger?)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

As a temporary solution, when you see a link to a pdf, do a control-click on the link and then choose 'save as file' (or whatever it's called). Then open the downloaded pdf file with quicklook or drag and drop the file onto preview.

You'll figure out the real solution later when time is not an issue.

3. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

yup that's it.
    If you have leopard, the best thing to do would be to download and save it (like said above). Once you've done that goto the file highlight it, and press your space bar, quicklook will come up and show you the contents of the file.

Enjoy, and good luck.

4. ale500 macrumors regular

Try to associate the pdf files in your browser with preview, so they open there instead of (not) opening with (maybe) acrobat. Well I was just checking and I really did not find where. (I use camino, on linux I'd know). Maybe someone just happens to know where associations are configured !

5. MatthewCobb macrumors regular

It's probably an unnecessary plug-in.

Quit your browser then go to

Library/Internet Plugins

and move your AdobePDFviewer.plugin to the Disabled Plug-ins folder.

Restart your browser. Combine this with the previous suggestions. And let us know if it works

6. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

When you installed Adobe cs3 you unwittingly changed the default PDF viewer to adobe acrobat, open a PDF file > cmnd + i > then change the 'open with' back to preview, then change all ;)

Attached Files:

7. PedoJuco macrumors newbie

Big Thanks! (I'm new to Mac and this website)