URGENT: Potential Issues

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ZiggyPastorius, Feb 6, 2008.

1. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

So I know there have been discussions on this, but, I didn't find any searching, and they don't describe my particular issue anyways.

So I was at school, and normally, I carry my Macbook with me in my backpack, but today, I had to put my backpack in my locker. So I'm holding my Macbook and a book in my hand, and couldn't get my backpack in, so what do I do? Without thinking, I drop it. Boom. It hit me the second I dropped it, I was almost in tears. I had just dropped my macbook forcefully onto hard floors from about 3 feet up. When I took it to class, it appeared to be fine. I noticed the lid casing was a little off-centre, but that doesn't worry me too much. When I opened it, the screen was a weird blue tint, and a little loading bar was showing on the bottom, when it reached the end, my screen went back to normal and everything seemed fine. It was still able to open all the apps on my computer without unusable laggage (though I can't be sure if it was any worse than normal or not), though sometimes when I'm typing after I start it up, it will give me a beach ball for like two seconds before showing the rest of the text. Not a huge issue, but obviously something annoying. It also did that blue-tint thing again a while later while awakening it. I'm afraid I may have damaged it on the inside (and I am a High School student who barely had the money to buy it in the first place, let alone fix it) in some way or another, in a way that is not plainly obvious by looking at it. The screen is fine, too. My question is, is there some sort of diagnostic mode for the computer to run through it's hardware and detect any problems? Any help as soon as possible is appreciated...Thanks, guys...

P.S. It takes a little longer to physically turn on, now, too..Hangs at the initial blue screen a moment before dinging and going to the Apple.

2. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

I dunno about diagnostics, but you may have damaged the hard disk drive. I suggest backing everything up. :3

3. ZiggyPastorius thread starter macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Yeah, I wondered if that may have happened. Fortunately, the Hard Discs in the Macbooks are user replacable, correct? I already have my data backed up.

4. jellomizer macrumors 6502

jellomizer

Well I woud just make sure it is not a mental thing. The fact that you are looking for problems and you seeing them. What I would normally do is Run A powerpoint presentation with an all white screen to see if there are any dead pixles. Run a check on the harddrive. To make sure there is no data loss or bad sectors. During a fall like that if the case and screen is in good condition chances are that most everything else survived. Spots that could happen is a scratch on your hard drive from a head crash, causing bad sector(s), your RAM may have dislodges from its slots so you may need to reseat them. But for laptops the force of the impact is mostly transfered threw the case and 3 feet isn't that bad of a drop (I DO NOT RECOMMEND DOING IT AGAIN THOUGH) and most laptops are designed to handle a fall.

But if everything seems to work I would say it is OK. A reboot may fix any problems with a jult.

5. jvette macrumors 6502

jvette

I would pull the battery and re-seat the hard drive and memory. Then re-boot and see if it is any better.

6. ZiggyPastorius thread starter macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Update

I found the only problem that has arisen (so far). The CD drive is busted. Fortunately, it's not a necessary part of my computer usage, but..*sigh* If I ever have to reinstall Logic or anything, I'm gonna be screwed. Any ideas how I can fix this, or how much it may cost? :S