Urgent! Problems installing microsoft office after numerous attempts

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wez99950, Sep 23, 2010.

1. wez99950 macrumors member

Mar 31, 2009
    Really looking for some help and it's quite urgent as my thesis is due next week!!
    I downloaded the free version for a 30 day trial a good while ago and that has since run out. I was using openoffice.org for a while until i was able to buy office.
    I bought office today and tried to download using the cd. It told me to uninstall the trial edition which I do and removed it from trash. Started downloading, all fine and was told it was complete. tried opening word but it said it didn't install correctly and i had to uninstall it again.
    Uninstalled, removed from trash, restarted computer and tried installing again. Once again, i tried opening word and get the same message! I'm also told that i need to download a 12.2.6 update - would that fix the problem? Although i did download the update the first time thinking this and it still didn't work.

I would really appreciate and help or advice as I am at a loss and am a bit under pressure. I am still using openoffice to try and continue working on the thesis but need Word to fix the layout, references etc etc.

Thank you
  2. miles01110 macrumors Core

Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    You need to use the Uninstaller that came with the trial version. You can't just move Office applications to the Trash.
  3. wez99950 thread starter macrumors member

Mar 31, 2009
    No I did that and it removed microsoft office and left it in trash which i emptied.
    Turns out you need to do more than just use the remove microsoft programme they provide - there are some more documents and settings that need to be removed too.

Ended up finding a guide on how to do it so all is good! thank you for the reply!