Urgent! Problems with blackrain 3GS 3.1.2 and restoring

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by willber, Apr 7, 2010.

1. willber macrumors member

Hi,

I own an Iphone 3GS with the new bootrom, and jailbroke with blackrain about a month ago.
    Since then I have had no problems with it being tethered, and have successfully rebooted it a number of times with blackrain.
    Last night I then installed blacksnow, and then my wifi would not find networks. So I reset the network settings, and then rebooted.
    I then plugged into blackrain to reboot, but when I reboot it loads up with Geohots mugshot on, for around 5 minutes, and then goes back to the apple logo and tries to boot again.

I have tried editing the host file on my mac so I can then restore to 3.1.2, but in iTunes I get the error, 'The iPhone ' iPhone' could not be restored. This device isnt eligible for the requested build'. I tried restoring in DFU mode also.

I saved my SSH with cydia before it went wrong, and have tried using Umbrella V222 to recover the SSH, but it says there are no SSH files for this iphone, and I am positive that they were saved on Cydia.

So what are my options? Is there any way of booting it up without restoring it?
    Is there any way of me restoring back to 3.1.2 after restoring to 3.1.3, as it seems iTunes is not letting me restore to older versions of the firmware?

Please help, I am desperate as I need my phone to be usable again, but also would like to keep the jailbreak.

Thank you very much, please help!

2. luvu01 macrumors regular

if you said you have save shsh 3.1.2 in cydia you can update to 3.1.3 and then downgrade it back to 3.1.2
    however as they said downgrade made the iphone has some issue.

3. tmatthews14 macrumors regular

Are you sure you had your SHSH's backed up for 3.1.2?? Because if you have a 3.1.2 shsh and you correctly modified your hosts file, it would work.

If you dont have a 3.1.2 shsh on file and only have a 3.1.3, it would tell you you're not eligible.

4. willber thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the responses. I am positive that I had my SSH on file for 3.1.2 with Cydia, I always remember the green writing at the top saying it was stored.
    Any other ideas for editing the host file/ umbrella? Im sure I edited the host file correctly, and tried it a few times.

5. AppleHack23 macrumors member

6. willber thread starter macrumors member

7. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

Are you sure it was saved for 3.1.2 and not 3.1.3? Saurik will save it for any version, but in your case it only does you good if you save it for 3.1.2. Did you ever save it with Saurik before jailbreaking? Because if you only saved it AFTER jailbreaking a month ago, that would have been well after the time that Apple stopped signing 3.1.2 requests.

8. willber thread starter macrumors member

It was definitely with 3.1.2, I have never had 3.1.3 installed. And yes it was about a month ago as that it when I purchased the phone, and did it through cydia, after jailbreaking. Am I screwed then?
    I guess there is no other way of downgrading to 3.1.2?
    But what I dont get, is if I currently have 3.1.2 installed, why can't I just press option + restore and select the 3.1.2 firmware?
    Or have apple blocked it so that you can only restore to 3.1.3 now, regardless of the firmware installed before?

Also I dont understand why the jailbreak screwed up in the first place, its been working fine since I have had it, is there any way of fixing it though blackrain as it isnt booting properly with it, to avoid restoring?

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you did it about a month ago then you dont have your 3.1.2 SHSH's on file.
    Apple stopped releasing 3.1.2 SHSHS on February 2nd.
    For 3GS models you can only restore to the latest OS thats currently available and thats 3.1.3
    Maybe try irecovery to try to get it to boot up again.
    Nothing much you can do, if it doesnt work you can only restore to 3.1.3
    If you followed these steps and its still not letting you restore to 3.1.2 then you dont have them saved thru cydia.
    http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=7556

10. willber thread starter macrumors member

Ok, Im trying iRecovery now. Ive download iRecovery and libusb, they are both in my downloads folder.
    In terminal I typed the command cd /users/Will/Downloads, and then iRecovery -s, but after I type iRecovery -s, I get the message, 'command not found'.
    Any ideas on how to get it working?
    Thanks so much for your help so far by the way

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Im not positive since I never had to use it so far. knock on wood :)
    Heres a few tutorials, hope they help:
    http://www.ihackintosh.com/2009/07/irecovery-iphone-recovery-mode-loop-restart/
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mYpFr_X1jg
    http://www.savevid.com/video/irecov...-boot-in-normal-mode-after-restore-error.html

12. willber thread starter macrumors member

13. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

Unfortunately it's not a matter of what firmware you had installed on the device at the time you store your SHSH on the Cydia servers, but what firmware Apple is willing to sign at that time. Since you did this a month ago—after Apple stopped signing 3.1.2. requests—the only SHSH Saurik could get for you was for 3.1.3—he can only get the file by querying Apple's servers, and if they'll only send it for 3.1.3, then the 3.1.3 file is what you get :(

Unfortunately, yes. You can ONLY install the firmware Apple is willing to let you install (that's what the "will verify the restore with Apple" line in the restore dialogue means), which right now is 3.1.3. If they release a 3.1.4 (which seems unlikely at this point), then you'll be able to downgrade back to 3.1.3, since you've stored your SHSH for that version, but anyone who hasn't stored their SHSH in Cydia before 3.1.4 is released would be stuck only being able to restore 3.1.4.

Basically, you're stuck for now :(

14. willber thread starter macrumors member

Ah, this sucks.

Tried to follow this tutorial
    http://www.ihackintosh.com/2009/07/irecovery-iphone-recovery-mode-loop-restart/
    When I entered these commands:
    setenv auto-boot true
    saveenv
    /exit
    into iRecovery there seemed to be no response, the only one which did anything was when I typed 'reboot', and the iPhone reboots, but still in recovery mode.
    Im losing hope :(
    Any familiar with iRecovery?

15. willber thread starter macrumors member

Anyone? I'm about to restore to 3.1.3 as I need my phone operational, anyone experienced with iRecovery?

16. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

Even if you get iRecovery to work properly, there's no getting around the fact that you have no way of signing a 3.1.2 install. I'm sorry if it's not what you want to hear, but these guides are all just different ways of taking advantage of a saved 3.1.2 SHSH. Since you don't have that, nothing else you can do will work. You really have no choice but to install 3.1.3 and wait :(