URGENT Query - How to NOT reset an iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ajdb9, Feb 6, 2011.

1. ajdb9 macrumors member

Hi!

Reasonably urgent question:

Explination
    I am taking my iPhone 3GS to the insurance-specified assessment/repair place tomorrow, and I want to insure that everything else is tried before something is done to totally reset the phone (i.e. delete app settings and photos)

I do backup, but I had done a lot of work and taken photos on it the morning it failed.

Question
    How is the iPhone reset? What do I ask them to not do?

I know I could just ask them not to reset it, but I've known other tech support in the past just to go 'yea yea' and go ahead doing what they want. If I have something specific to say 'don't press the X button and the Y button together, I don't want it reset' - then I can feel happier about it!

Thanks in advance

Alex

2. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

2 ways:
    1. Reset all settings under Settings app in iPhone itself
    2. They reflash the iPhone with new firmware and set it up as a new phone using iTunes
    3. They somehow do a remote wipe, like with Find My iPhone.. but this is unlikely

3. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Can you turn the phone on at all? If you can, I'd email everything you had done to yourself if possible to try and ensure you get everything off of there. Generally it's a given that a repair place will restore as one of the first things to try and fix the problem if they don't just give you a replacement. What you're talking about (power+home) is a hard reset that's not going to do anything to the data on your phone. You can ask them not to restore, but, as I said above, that's one of the first things to do because it usually fixes the problem. Depending on where you're taking it this may not be a problem, but it will be hard for them to actually do anything without wiping the phone. Even Apple may tell you no if you're unwilling to have the phone restored or get a replacement without that info being backed up.

4. elan123 macrumors 6502

very unlikely

5. Mark Booth macrumors 65816

Mark Booth

Have you tried holding down the sleep/wake button and the home button at the same time? Hold them down until you see the white Apple logo on the screen. Once the Apple logo pops up (about 7-8 seconds, if I recall correctly), let go of the buttons. That simply reboots the iPhone. It does NOT change any settings. It's the same as turning it off and back on.

If the phone doesn't respond to that, then my guess is you're data is lost. Apple will more than likely just give you another phone.

Mark

6. ajdb9 thread starter macrumors member

Hi guys
    The issue is with the charging area. It seems to be a mechanical, not a software issue so I cannot imagine that a reset/restore would do anything to fix it. The phone worked fine, it just ran out of battery and died (it was low battery and obviously I couldn't connect it up to back it up then as that was where the problem was!)
    If he opens it up to deal with a mechanical part at the bottom, can he avoid resetting it do you think?
    (Can't turn it on cause no battery and no way of charging!)
    Thanks again
    Alex

7. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Where are you getting this repaired at? Either way, I think you're out of luck.

8. ajdb9 thread starter macrumors member

Success!

The awesome guy managed to totally replace the charging dock (the entire part with the ports and everything) and it charges perfectly.

Most importantly: all my settings, apps, photos etc are all still there!

Thanks for all your help guys.

Alex