Urgent question about Verizon ESN

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AndrewR23, Jun 30, 2015.

1. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Few questions. Please help if you know the answers bc google doesnt and neither do Verizon employees.

1. If A verizon iPhone 6 (ONLY 6) were to get blacklisted or bad ESN, would it still work on AT&T?

-I read about an agreement between all 4 carriers sharing blacklist database in 2012 but reports and evidence in 2013 with the 5S show that to be untrue.

2. If I were to get a whitelisted Verizon iPhone 6, then get it replaced at apple, THEN the seller reports it stolen or lost, will the new 6 with a new serial number and IMEI get blacklisted?

-I read reports saying as of 2013 that they do not carry. For example if you were to get a bad ESN verizon iPhone replaced at apple, the new one would be whitelisted.

Does anyone know? Please help and thank you.

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

The problem with all that is that even if people have had some anecdotal stories--as in seen this or that happen or experienced it--it doesn't necessarily mean that that's how it always works or is supposed to work.

It sounds like you are doing your due diligence as far as finding out details about a phone you are trying to buy, but you won't be able to escape all risk. That said, the risk of all these things, while it exists, is generally not a high one by any means. Most likely none of that will happen, and you'll be fine, but there's still a chance something like that might.

3. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

Yeah I bought an iPhone 6 Verizon off ebay. The seller has stayed in very good contact with me, even sent me his ID picture lol. But I am worried he could report it lost/stolen eventually.

So If I were to replace it at Apple before he could *Possibly* report it stolen, the IMEI/serial number changes and it won't get a bad ESN/blacklist.

4. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

Doesn't sound like it would. But not sure anyone can really guarantee anything.

6. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

[​IMG]

Confirmed. I also called Verizon who said the same.

So if I quickly replace this 6 tied to his contract and get a new 6 with a new Imei the Imei do not transfer. Therefore with my new Imei if the seller reports it stolen nothing will happen.

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

How would you get it replaced though?

8. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

Im doing it through the apple express replacement. I told that senior advisor the truth and they were more then happy to send me a new one to avoid any blacklisting.

A 800$ hold is going on my CC though lol