URGENT QUESTION. Backlit keyboard. 2 information clash together plus some stories.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mobius 1, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Mobius 1 macrumors 6502

So I just searched for the retrofit mod.

One guy owning the 2.0GhZ non-backlit 2008 MacBook (cmiiw) bought a topcase of the backlit 2.4GhZ and TRANSPLANTED the backlit keyboard to the 2.0 model. And the interesting part: no software mods. Is this even possible??

The Logic (or the mother) board has a small connection to control the backlight (2.4) while the 2.0 does not. This is the confusing part.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=649201 tells me that u can do it w/o any software mods (plug and play). And again: http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translat...te08-2ghz-414291/&lp=de_en&btnTrUrl=Translate

So discuss and can I do this with my old 2.0 MacBook? (i'm suffering from not seeing the keyboard at 0 light conditions)

Does anybody have proof that those 2 threads claimed. Or they're hoax?

2. mrwonkers macrumors 6502

mrwonkers

3. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

Well reading the Yahoo post in the original German shed some light on it for me. What it looks like is that, YES it is possible.

However you will end up voiding your warranty AND in order to pull this off you should be very handy around computers. Not really something as easy as replacing the HDD or RAM.

I would venture a guess that the one that said he did it on the macrumors post and said he forgot to take pics was probably not telling the truth.

My recommendation is to try and contact the OP of the German forum and have him help you.

And for future reference this isnt exactly what id call an URGENT post. URGENT posts should be something like, "my computer is on fire" or, "im bleeding to death and this forum is the only means of telling anyone!!!" aesthetic mods do not fall under that category unfortunately.

4. Mobius 1 thread starter macrumors 6502

5. ViciousShadow21, Apr 16, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2011

ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

6. Mobius 1 thread starter macrumors 6502

i bet he does not speak english lol

back on topic, do you think it's hard to do this?

7. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Given that you have to practically take the entire computer apart and put it back together, yes, it's hard to do.

If you are successful, please follow up with us. I would like to know also as I have a 2.0 GHz and some time on my hands.

8. Mobius 1, Apr 16, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2011

Mobius 1 thread starter macrumors 6502

i need to ask my dad to buy me a topcase tough.

disassembling is ok bcoz i have a friend who takes apart computers regularly.

the only thing i;m concerned about this is that my motherboard/logic- does not have the connector for the backlighting control thingy as said by iFixit.

if i can i still need to get past my dad.

god, please help

EDIT: just PM'ed the guy. but he's last active at 09 april 2011. we'll just have to wait

9. sab165 macrumors member

sab165

It appears that it is pretty easy to tell whether or not your logic board will be able to accommodate the backlit keyboard. Check out the attached image and the connector highlighted by the blue square (ignore the red square). That is the connector that iFixit refers to when checking whether or not the logic board can work with the backlit keyboard. All you should have to do is pop the bottom plate off, just like you would to install new memory, and check to see if that connector is there. I am going to check my wife's MB in a little while after she is done using it, and I will check back with info on how simple it is.

Attached Files:

10. Mobius 1 thread starter macrumors 6502

^yours is macbook 5.1 without backlit too?

PLEASE CONFIRM IF THIS IS POSSIBLE/NOT

hey wait, can i buy just the keyboard or i have to do something about the topcase?

11. sab165 macrumors member

sab165

Yes, her MB is the 5,1 w/o backlit. I'm not 100% on your second question though, this is really the first time I've looked into this since early 09' when she first asked if it was possible to replace her keyboard with a backlit one. I will confirm how easy/hard it is to identify whether or not the transplant is when she puts her MB down ;)

12. Mobius 1 thread starter macrumors 6502

will wait for answer. thanks :)

does the blue square means that it can accomodate/not?

13. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

reading his post, it looks like you will need a new keyboard and a new topcase

14. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

The connector highlighted by the blue square is what you need, apparently. If it's there, supposedly you can do the mod.

We'll see what sab165 finds out.

15. sab165 macrumors member

sab165

The blue square highlights the connection on the logic board that does accommodate the backlit keyboard.

I just pulled the rear panel off of my wife's, and her MB does have the same connection on the logic board as the picture I posted earlier from iFixit!! She is super excited. Just have to find a cheap backlit keyboard, as the one from iFixit is $300!!

Anyhow, I have attached a pic I took of her logic board showing the connector that you will need if you wish to transplant a backlit keyboard to your MB. All you have to do is pull the panel off of the bottom of the MB, just like if you were swapping out the memory sticks, and on the left side of the memory slots you will/won't see the connector that is highlighted in both pics I have posted.

Let me know what you find out!

Attached Files:

16. Mobius 1 thread starter macrumors 6502

how to you replace the keyboard btw?

where does the backlit cable connect?

i'm confused lol

17. Mobius 1 thread starter macrumors 6502

DAMN i cannot

[​IMG]

F CK

where can i get a chip like that. i really want backlit :(

and i can't buy a macbook pro. i'm poor.

18. vincenz, Apr 17, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2011

vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

You cant. You'd have to replace the whole logic board, which is so expensive that you might as well get a new MBP.

19. Mobius 1 thread starter macrumors 6502

what will happen if i just fit the backlit sheet to my old MB?

20. sab165 macrumors member

sab165

As the previous poster stated, you will have to replace the logic board since you do not have the connection piece on your logic board. I find it odd that Apple would have different logic boards in the same model MB. Definitely sucks that you can't do the transplant though.

21. sab165 macrumors member

sab165

I would assume that since you have nowhere to plug in the backlit sheet that it would do you no good. There has to be a connector to power the lights, and since your logic board is without that connector it would be a waist of time.

22. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Yeh, I think it's pretty strange how they did that too. I just checked my 2.0 GHz and it has the connection, but I doubt I'll be spending $300 anytime soon for backlighting :p

Have you looked around for cheaper alternatives? I'm wary of trying outlets like ebay. I have itchy fingers and a little time on my hands, so for the right price...

23. sab165 macrumors member

sab165

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

The cheapest I've seen is eBay, but I'm like you and don't know if I'd trust purchasing such an item from some random person. I think $150-200 is a decent price for this upgrade, especially when you can't spend $800-1000 for a new 13".

24. pcyyijb macrumors newbie

I recently bought the backlit module that slips under keyboard from ebay. Pretty involved installation requiring the full dissasembly of the macbook but for £12 i think it was worth it.
    Followed the logic board removal guide on iFixit and then peeled off the black plastic covering the keyboard and replaced with the backlit module.