Urgent question since my 2 week replacement periodis about to end

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nph, Jun 22, 2017.

1. nph macrumors 6502a

I have a 15" MBP 2017 base and my concern is even when hot i don't really see the fans spin up.
    I have installed a widget so I can read CPU temp and fan speeds. Today it hit 150 degrees with no speed change. The other day it was even hotter but I didn't have a way to get the exact temperature at that time.

So at what CPU temp does your fans start to go beyond base of 2100 RPM? I checked with Genius bar today and to verify if this machine is faulty it would need to be sent away for a week. I would rather do a swap since I bought it 12 days ago and if so I need to do it on Saturday. Hence I need to quickly know if this is normal or not with no fan speed increase at 150F?

Appreciate fast feedback!

2. Nave29 macrumors member

If you feel there's an issue, then swap it while you can.

3. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

150'f is perfectly fine, 150'c you've got a problem.

It's normal around 50'c so the fans don't usually kick in till around 75'c. The best thing you can do the understand if there's no problem is to try running a CPU stress test, render a large file or do some batch processing. Anything that'll run your CPU at 100% for 20 minutes or so.

Otherwise I would suggest you'll just go without a computer for a few days for no good reason.

4. Nave29 macrumors member

If he does it in store he doesn't need to have a few days without a computer (unless he has a custom)

5. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

But from what the OP has said there is nothing wrong with the computer, and exchanging it for the sake of exchanging won't solve the issue if they feel the new one overheats too. This can lead to anxiety and stress through frustration once you become adamant there's a problem. Hence I suggest running a stress test just to confirm a problem, otherwise it's absolutely fine. Only trying to save the OP some potentially needless worry :)

6. nph thread starter macrumors 6502a

I like your suggestion since the machine is perfect from every other angle so if this is normal behavior I don't want to exchange it.

7. nph thread starter macrumors 6502a

So I shouldn't see the fans kick in until 75C? Another 10 degrees outside then?

8. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

The 150F without much in the way of elevated fan activity is normal.

If you are worried, you could go to an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider and request they perform MRI on your system along with some of the extended tests in the Apple Toolkit, or you could just perform a stress test as New_Mac_Smell suggested. But if this were me personally, it is not something I would worry about or consider to be an issue.

9. nph thread starter macrumors 6502a

I went to the Genius bar and they performed tests showing fans were ok but suggested to send it away for a week to have it checked out. But in that case i might as well replace it since I need it for work and can't be without it for a week. I did ask the guys at the Genius bar if they could run some load test but they could only run diagnostic tests they said. Hence I have asked the forum what is "normal" temp for the fans to start to rev up and I will try some stress test of my own tomorrow. I really like the laptop including the keyboard so i hope this is normal.

10. leman macrumors 604

If it's 150 F, then don't worry about it. Also, don't forget that mobile CPUs have higher temperatures than desktop ones simply because the temperature sensor is located in a different place. The max safe temperature for your CPU is 100C - you are still very far from it.

11. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

Just bear in mind Apple will always ask you to send it away as they'd rather be 100% certain if you were concerned. As I said run a stress test just to give you that peace of mind.

Try this http://www.idownloadblog.com/2016/02/21/how-to-stress-test-mac-cpu/, don't worry about the temperature as such as it is all within normal range, and as @leman pointed out it's safe up to 100'c. I can't say when precisely the fans will kick in as it's all worked out by the software and is very circumstance dependant, but running that test I can say they will kick in at least.

12. nph thread starter macrumors 6502a

I tried this at Best Buy the other day and even running for 10+ minutes neither 13 or 15 got as warm as mine underneath. Granted i count check fan speed since they didn't have any sw installed to show it. But I didn't hear the fans go very high either. How long should the dev yes command be running before i should see some impact to speed up the fans?

13. nph thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, I am happy to report that with 8 dev yes processes running, VM with Windows 7, outlook and Skype as well as charging it the machine goes to high 60;s and then stops due to fans ramping up to max at that point. So no need to worry. Thanks for all the help here, really appreciated! I now don't have to replace the machine! :) It means as far as I can see I got a perfect machine so I "won" a good copy of the MBP! :) Knock on wood!

14. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

Great :)