[URGENT] software update + applications not working at all T_T

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kerojune, Mar 5, 2010.

1. kerojune macrumors newbie

i just bought my brand new iMac few days ago and everyhing worked perfectly fine until yesterday the system said there's software update and so i clicked "install". the system reboot and it appeared to be my wireless keyboard firmware update, but then the system freeze and none of my application worked (including safari, firefox, itunes, photoshop, illustrator, skype etc etc. EVERYTHING). the icon bounced but said "not responding"...

then i searched online and saw discussions that suggest manual software update using terminal (sudo softwareupdate -i -a) and system said everything has been installed including my wireless keyboard. but no matter how many time i restarted it, the update window kept on popping up and made my system freeze.

currently im backup-ing everything using time machine n im planning to reinstall the mac OS.
    is this the right way of solving this problem?

i really need to fix this asap! please advise! T_T
    thanks!

2. Queso macrumors G4

Before trying to re-install do a Permissions Repair on your OSX boot volume (normally Macintosh HD). From what you describe that will most likely resolve the issue.