URGENT: Taking open source suggestions for large University computer lab

zachbb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2009
Hello

Please help me compile a short and practical list of necessary software. This is a great opportunity to spread free and open source software (FOSS) in higher education.

I manage a course in a university computer lab in Paris, France. In December (over the new year) we are going to be updating the lab with new computers and new software. I would love to know what software you think should be installed on these computers. We are looking for both proprietary and FOSS software.

This is a Mac lab, so all software suggestions have to be for Mac. If there are french versions, this is favorable - otherwise the English versions are fine, it's not biggie!

Proprietary Software (The list so far):
Microsoft Office 2008
Adobe Creative Suite for Mac

FOSS (the list so far):
GIMP for Mac
Open Office
Firefox
FileZilla FTP Client

Thanks for your suggestions.

Zach

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Why is this urgent and in the OSX forum - kind odd

I'd recommend first off, fedora since they completely embrace FOSS and do ship only open source software/drivers with the OS.

I'd also recommend
Open Office
Gimp
Empathy
F-spot

dukebound85

macrumors P6
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Why is this urgent and in the OSX forum - kind odd

I'd recommend first off, fedora since they completely embrace FOSS and do ship only open source software/drivers with the OS.

I'd also recommend
Open Office
Gimp
Empathy
F-spot
He has already listed the first 2 in the original post

OP: Might help if you state what type of lab this is? In the sense of what the purpose of it is geared to

zachbb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2009
OP: Might help if you state what type of lab this is? In the sense of what the purpose of it is geared to
It's a general lab that we use for business students. We cover topics such as how to write CVs, cover letters, etc.

We train them in programs like Word, Excel, Powerpoint and in website creation. Since these are all business students, I would like to open their minds a bit to free and open source software. That's why I would like to have alternatives.

zachbb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2009
Thank you for all the replies!

I submitted a list and recommendations that included your suggestions.

Zach