Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macaroooon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2012
Just upgraded my ram, and now I went to turn it on, the screen doesn't turn on, but the mac beeps several times.

What's happened :eek:

andy9l

macrumors 68000
Aug 31, 2009
England, UK
Happened to me too with my iMac. Nothing to worry about really, one of the RAM sticks wasn't shoved in hard enough so check yours. Be firm with them, but careful not to snap anything or slip and damage other components...obviously ;)

Ensure they're in facing the correct way too - can't remember if the little notches avoid that?

Edit: Yes, there's no harm in trying again. You can always go back to the old RAM if these sticks are faulty/incompatible.

Macaroooon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2012
Happened to me too with my iMac. Nothing to worry about really, one of the RAM sticks wasn't shoved in hard enough so check yours. Be firm with them, but careful not to snap anything or slip and damage other components...obviously ;)

Ensure they're in facing the correct way too - can't remember if the little notches avoid that?

I believe they are, as you can only put them in one way can't you, one of the 'gold bars' is long than the other :)

andy9l

macrumors 68000
Aug 31, 2009
England, UK
I believe they are, as you can only put them in one way can't you, one of the 'gold bars' is long than the other :)

Yep, sounds familiar. Couldn't quite remember, was some time ago. Just give it another shot, make sure you're quite firm when you push the sticks in.

Macaroooon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2012
Yep, sounds familiar. Couldn't quite remember, was some time ago. Just give it another shot, make sure you're quite firm when you push the sticks in.

Will do now, I'll let you know how it goes!

----------

Phew! It all works fine, checked it's been recognised and it has! I think I was just nervous as although I've done it before I always hate doing upgrades myself!

Thank you all!

andy9l

macrumors 68000
Aug 31, 2009
England, UK
Phew! It all works fine, checked it's been recognised and it has! I think I was just nervous as although I've done it before I always hate doing upgrades myself!

Better safe than sorry! I remember being concerned at how hard I had to shove the RAM into my iMac, so it's not just you! The videos you see say "push firmly", but firm is a scary word when applied to a £1500+ product :p

zsrhusain

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2012
Toronto, Canada
You should check to see if the RAM is compatible with your Mac. I have found that Macs are very picky when it comes to RAM. If it still does not work then you possibly have faulty RAM.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Just upgraded my ram, and now I went to turn it on, the screen doesn't turn on, but the mac beeps several times.

What's happened :eek:

Your RAM is probably dead on arrival. It happens sometimes.

Either that or it is not compatible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.