Urgent VPN Help

Discussion in 'macOS' started by covertsurfer, Feb 26, 2009.

1. covertsurfer macrumors 6502a

I have a iMac 3.06 and have a work VPN connection. I can easily connect to it but I cannot use any computer names on the network, it has to be the ip address. This is really annoying because I have to keep going back to my Windows laptop because "that just works!".

Thanks for your help

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

How about if you use the full DNS name of the computer you're trying to connect to?

3. covertsurfer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Which is what?

If I ping [computer name] it says unknown host

4. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Did you set up your Mac's VPN connection according to the settings provided by your IT dept.?

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Whatever your companies DNS is.
    Because it cannot resolve it simply by name only, it needs the full DNS name I imagine.

If you ping a system from your Windows laptop which you say does work, what exactly do you get back?

6. covertsurfer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, it connects fine (to a windows server) its just i cant ping the computer names although i just tried it on a domain machine and i had to do ping [pc name.domain name.local] which worked however i can't get it to do it for pc's not on the domain but just in workgroups

7. covertsurfer thread starter macrumors 6502a

I get a reply and all is well and i can connect to things like intranet at http://pcname rather than http://192.168.0.111

8. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

"pc name.domain name.local"

It's the real details of that you need to know and use.

If the computer you're pinging is called FRANK, in order to ping it from OS X over VPN you'll need to enter it's full DNS name, this would be FRANK.domainname.local.

edit: Can you give me an "ipconfig /all" from your Windows computer (run from command line)?

9. covertsurfer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yup, that worked but not sure how you do it for seperate PC's on their own workgroup?

10. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You have to add the DNS suffix to the DNS suffix search list.

In OS X this is in Network Prefs somewhere under the network adapter config.

In Windows this is under the Advanced TCP/IP Properties of your network adapter.

11. covertsurfer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just tried and no luck.., on my vpn connection i click advanced and then clicked the dns tab, there is a greyed out ip address which is the internal ip of the vpn machine, on the write is domains so i added [domainname.local] but still no luck