URGENT: Won't display 2007 Equations in Word 2008.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ardoptres, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Ardoptres macrumors regular

So I download this math assignment.
    I open it and it says that the document cointains Word 2007 for Windows equations, which is not supported by Word 2008 for Mac.

I have never had this problem before, and I have downloaded a lot of these documents, containing equations from Equation Editor.

Is there any way I can make it accept them? I am pretty sure there isn't a 2007 edition of Word, and it sounds crazy that a Word document contains something that Word for Mac can't read.

Thanks in advance.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Word 2007 is for Windows. And no, the Windows and Mac versions of Word are not exactly the same. I don't know the solution to your problem, though, except maybe to open it with the Windows version.

3. nadyne macrumors 6502a

Sorry, but this is a known issue with Word 2008. Equations saved in Word 2007 for Windows are not supported in Word 2008 for Mac. The equations will be preserved so that they display correctly in Word 2007, but will appear as placeholders in Word 2008.

You'll need to use a Windows computer with Office 2007 or Office 2010 installed on it to see these equations.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

4. Ardoptres thread starter macrumors regular

I solved the problem by opening it with OpenOffice (which had no problem reading it) and saving it in another format.