Urgently need photos off a cracked iPhone 5.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cal296, Nov 22, 2015.

1. cal296 macrumors newbie

I have damaged the screen on my iPhone 5, at first it was only cracked but now it is completely black and won't recognise touches etc.

The phone is being replaced in a couple of days but I need to back it up and wipe it first. I urgently need photos off the device.

When I plug into my Mac or PC it says it can't access the phone because it is locked with a passcode. Is there any way to get around this? Also would I still be able to wipe it without screen access?

Thank you.

2. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

This doesn't help, but why wouldn't you set your backups to occur regularly, especially when the screen got cracked?

There's been a couple other threads recently on this issue... From what I recall, you're SOL. But you could get the scene replaced, if the pics are that important.

C

3. viperGTS macrumors 65816

Dont replace the phone. Just get the screen fixed, then access the photos. If you can't enter that passcode, the photos will be gone.

4. cal296 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh it's not looking good then. Although I have just gone on my iPad and realised that the phone did an iCloud backup yesterday. Do iCloud backups include photos? It is 91.1 Mb but the phone doesn't have many photos on it.

5. -Gonzo- macrumors regular

Have you tried plugging into PC, got to My Computer/File Explorer, select the iPhone, select Internal Storage then open the DCIM folder which will contain all your photos within a selection of other folders.

6. cal296 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey, yes I have tried that but it shows none because the iPhone doesn't give access to its storage if its locked. :/

7. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Yes, icloud backup should include photos, unless you've enabled icloud photos, in which case they should be in icloud anyway. 91Mb really does seem like quite a small backup, though, unless you had only 20-40 photos and nothing else to backup other than message history and such?

As to wiping it, if you have find my iphone enable you should be able to wipe it there, as long as it still boots far enough to have network access. Failing that, a DFU restore in itunes should effectively also wipe it.

8. cal296 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you every one, looks like I'll be able to get my photos from iCloud Backup and erase the phone via DFU or Find my iPhone.

Problem solved thanks :)

9. Merkie macrumors 68020

Have you tried logging in to iCloud.com to see if your photos are there?

10. nostresshere macrumors 68030

That sure seemed like a more logical course of action instead of the OP "asking" if they were there.

LOL

By the way, the idea of replacing the screen seems to make more sense as well.