URL Loading System to Request Contents of a Directory?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by Spike099, May 6, 2009.

1. Spike099 macrumors regular

So, a little history about why this has stricken my curiosity.

I had a client who wanted to transfer all his geocity files over to a real provider. The client had thousands of files on his account. Now, geocities doesn't allow you to do bulk transfers, nor can you access the site via ftp on a basic account. So... Basically the only way for a typical person to do this was to download each file individually! This wasn't going to happen.

My resolution was to write an app that took in a csv list and downloaded each file for you.

This worked, however I had to copy and paste the list of files and format it properly.

My question is, is there a way to request the contents of a directory via URL Loading System or some other Cocoa or foundation framework?

2. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

If you're referring to a directory on the server, no, not unless you go through some protocol like FTP or WebDAV.

3. Spike099 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I was referring to a directory on the server.

So, a crawler would start by parsing whatever index (if no robot.txt) was provided and search the file for links, is this how they find all the pages available on a webserver?

4. xyzeugene macrumors newbie

Dont reinvent the wheel...

Use http://www.httrack.com

its free and you and slow it down if need be.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Not sure about that one but there are plenty of apps that will download all linked files from a server.