US 3GS Iphone in Germany, need data on vodafone, please help!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jeremiahb01, Mar 11, 2010.

1. jeremiahb01 macrumors newbie

Mar 11, 2010
    Hi everyone,

I just made a permanent move to Germany and I brought my new Iphone 3GS with me.
    Version: 3.1.2 (7D11)
    Carrier: 5.0
    Modem Firmware: 05.11.07
    Jailbreak: Blackra1n/Blacksn0w

I went to the local Vodafone and bought a "pay as you go" sim card today. The phone and texting works just fine, but I cannot use any data services (mail, web, etc.) When I try to use safari I get the message: "Could not activate cellular data are not subscribed to a cellular data service"

I've gone into Settings>General>Network>Cellular Data Network and added in the APN field, both for "Celluar Data" and "MMS" leaving the username and password blank, and trying the user/pass -- web/web, but still no dice.

I didn't know what or if I should enter anything else in the other MMS fields.

I've thought about removing blackra1n and trying redsn0w, but I don't want to lose the phone and texting I already have...(as I fear that messing with this might make me restore w/ itunes, thus having to download 3.1.3...and not being able to jailbreak at all...)

Anyway, if you have any insight or ideas, they would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

2. wpf macrumors newbie

Jun 28, 2011
    unlocking the 3GS

Hi Jeremiah - I am just visiting Germany (and Italy) and would like to unlock my phone while I am in Europe and get a SIM card from Vodafone or another carrier just for the time I am visiting. Is this feasible?

Thx - Bill
  3. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

Jun 21, 2007
    On The Interweb Thingy!
    I'm in the Netherlands, but chances are the settings are more or less the same in Germany.

Try this:

Cellular Data

Username: vodafone
    Passoword: vodafone

Username: vodafone
    Passoword: vodafone
    MMSC: (is .nl for Netherlands)
    MMS Proxy
    MMS Max Message Size: 300000
    MMS UA Prof URL: *blank*