US and EU keyboard question 13" TB MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mike Boreham, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

I recently bought a used 2016 13" TB MBP here in the UK. I changed my mind about drive size so took it back next day, and ordered one with a bigger drive. Meantime I went into an Apple store and saw another 2016 13" MBP.

The used one I returned had a US keyboard ("enter" key is quickest way to notice...see attachment).

The one I saw in the Apple Store had a UK keyboard.

So was the used one I returned a stray US model which had found its way to UK?

I notice that all the photos of 13" TB MBP on the Apple (UK) site show US keyboards.

I have now ordered a used 2017 13" TB MBP now and wondering what I can expect the keyboard to be.

During the day I had the first one I found I missed the taller "7" shaped enter key which I had been used to on the 12" MacBook which the 13" TB MBP will be replacing. This was actually the only thing I noticed different in the one day I had it, and I'm sure I would get used to it.

Any other comments about the difference?

What do other UK owners of 13" TB MBPs have?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. SteveJUAE macrumors 68020

SteveJUAE

You may find using the UKP symbol a pain and if you use UK English and try and select UK Keys often the @ and " symbols get reversed, best to stick with US KB selected and find a way around the pound symbol, the enter key shape is minor and soon forgotten

3. Mike Boreham thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for replying Steve.

I am definitely hoping that the MBP arriving tomorrow will have a UK keyboard. I want it to be the same as my iMac keyboard which is UK layout with "British" selected in keyboard prefs. I have not found using the £ sign a pain, and I have not had an problems with " and @.

I would not have raised this at all if it wasn't for that that the used one I returned (I now realise) was a US keyboard, which is odd. Makes me concerned that the used one coming (from the same high street chain) might be US as well.

I would have expected nearly all MBPs in the UK to have UK keyboards but so far I have only seen the one I returned (US) and the one in the Apple Store (UK).

I am hoping lots of UK owners will chip in to say theirs is UK layout.

4. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

All Macs built for the British market come with the UK keyboard, with the ISO (vertical) style enter/return key, no matter where you buy it from.

If you buy one and it arrives with a different keyboard it was almost certainly destined for a different market and imported, or (very unlikely), custom-ordered by a customer in the UK with a US keyboard, perhaps for personal preference.

Telling us where it was bought from might inform as to which is the case.

Personally I can't stand the US layout because I keep missing the return key. But it's just personal preference.