Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quid squid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2008
los angeles
staring at Apple's contact page I noticed the US and Singapore have the same phone number. All the other countries look to have their country code listed with it...so what if I am in the US and want to call the Singapore number? Is it really the same due to outsourcing?

shanew21

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
I actually did notice that about an hour ago, while trying to pass the time. Outsourcing at its finest

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
To call a Singapore number from the US, you'd dial 011+65 (the code for Singapore) and then the number.

To call a US number from Singapore, there's a similar process you'd follow.

ttech10

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2008
staring at Apple's contact page I noticed the US and Singapore have the same phone number. All the other countries look to have their country code listed with it...so what if I am in the US and want to call the Singapore number? Is it really the same due to outsourcing?

Is it really outsourcing, every time I've called the number (from problems with my iPhone 3G) I got someone that sounded extremely American. Since Singapore is English speaking I wouldn't be surprised if it was just easier for them to call the US center, just like Canada does.

quid squid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2008
los angeles
good enough answers for me

(this thread was started out of pure tiredness, plus it wasn't another thread about the store being up or down or gone or any other place it could have gone)

rattydog

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2010
Is it really outsourcing, every time I've called the number (from problems with my iPhone 3G) I got someone that sounded extremely American. Since Singapore is English speaking I wouldn't be surprised if it was just easier for them to call the US center, just like Canada does.

That is an interesting point. But Mexico has the same number (just presented non-Alpha) so either everyone in Mexico speaks English too, or everyone in the States speaks Spanish.

Given the Singapore number isn't preceded by an International Dial-out number perhaps they simply use 1-800 in Singapore for their domestic toll-free services (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_numbers_in_Singapore) and Apple was able to get the same number at the end providing the illusion that the same exact number dialled from two different countries would actually route to the same room of people.

edit - was too slow in my typing and beat by 11 minutes!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.